Highlighted
Community Member

Error message "Failed to create new item"

Jump to solution

I've had no trouble loading my module items - files, links, videos and so on. But today, for the life of me, I cannot get a powerpoint uploaded from my computer. I keep getting the error message, "Failed to create new item." Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Barbara

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

Hello there, ble@nvcc.edu...

When you navigate to your course "Files" area, scroll to the very bottom of the screen, and then you will see a percentage used out of a number of some number allotted to your course.  Have you maxed out on your course storage?  If so, you might need to delete some files/folders that you know you're not using in order to upload the PowerPoint file.  Otherwise, you may need to contact a local Canvas administrator at your school to see if he/she would be willing to increase the file storage capacity of your course so that you can upload the file.  I found this page on your school's website that may be of help: Canvas :: Northern Virginia Community College.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

Hello there, ble@nvcc.edu...

When you navigate to your course "Files" area, scroll to the very bottom of the screen, and then you will see a percentage used out of a number of some number allotted to your course.  Have you maxed out on your course storage?  If so, you might need to delete some files/folders that you know you're not using in order to upload the PowerPoint file.  Otherwise, you may need to contact a local Canvas administrator at your school to see if he/she would be willing to increase the file storage capacity of your course so that you can upload the file.  I found this page on your school's website that may be of help: Canvas :: Northern Virginia Community College.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Chris,

On my Files page, it said 25% on the first page, but 100% when I went in to one of my folders. So I deleted files that I imported from Blackboard like crazy, and then got 0% of 1.5 GB. Now I see 4% of 52.4 MB used - but I STILL get the same error message when I try to upload a Powerpoint - "Failed to Create New Item."

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get ready for class and don't know what else to do. My other uploads have been fine to this point.

Also, during training we were told it would be virtually impossible to max out our storage.

Thanks!

Barbara

Highlighted
Community Member

Now my course files says this:

100% of 524.3 MB used

Files Quota: 100% of 524.3 MB used

There are not even a ton of files uploaded - we've only had several classes meet so far. I don't know what is going on!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lamplighter

ble@nvcc.edu, it is indeed unusual to max out the allotted file storage in a course; my school also imposed a 500mb course quota and I never came close to it in five years of teaching online courses in Canvas.

I did, however, use videos heavily and in your initial post you mentioned that some of the files are videos. Videos notoriously eat up a considerable amount of file space. If it's possible for you to host your videos elsewhere and link out to them from the course, that might help with the quota issue. When I was teaching, I uploaded my videos to YouTube and used the embed code to embed them in pages; not only did this help with file space but it also allowed me to present the videos nicely on a page along with notes, links, and other information relevant to the video, and I could use those pages in my course's modules progression. The video links were also handy to have for quiz questions.

For a problem like this it would be best for you to reach out to Canvas Support (How do I get help with Canvas as an instructor?) so a support rep can examine the files in the course to identify any likely culprits and work with you and your local Canvas admin to see if an increase to the course quota is warranted.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks so much Stefanie for your feedback.

I've gone back again and slashed my resources to the bone, deleting every video - I only had about 5 left, under 10 mins each, and the others were set to open in a new window so I didn't think they'd count toward my storage capacity.

I will reach out to Canvas Support.

Highlighted
Lamplighter

I think Canvas Support is your best avenue at this point, ble@nvcc.edu. For perspective, I just googled "How much space does a 10-minute video take up?" While the answer depends on the quality and compression or lack thereof of the video, the general response was on the order of 500mb-1GB—and that's just for one 10-minute video. 

Videos that are set to open in a new window count against the storage quota as long as they're stored in the course files.