Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsavage2
Learner II

Etherpad integration?

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Does anyone have info on setting up Etherpad with a hosted Canvas instance? I see from Google that some institutions are using it, but the only plugin I can find seems to be for self-hosted instances.

We have some use cases that Google isn't meeting, security-wise, and tapping into our own Etherpad instance would be perfect, but only if we can authenticate through LTI.

I see someone else had a similar question a while back, but no luck with answers (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Developers-Group/Setting-up-our-own-Etherpad/m-p/104045). I'm hoping the intervening years have turned something up.

TIA!

(also: I haven't been here much since the redesign: how do I crosspost to Developers and Admins groups, now? "@" only seems to turn up people and content...) 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jsavage2 

What I have learned is that EtherNet is a discontinued product, but that an open-source version can be set up on your own server then linked to Canvas.

I found the following note at the top of the 7/18/2015 Release Note ,

"EtherPad Collaborations: August 8

On August 8, 2015, all existing Etherpad collaborations that are hosted by Canvas will be permanently deleted. Institutions who still want to use Etherpad as a collaboration tool can set up their own Etherpad server and integrate it with Canvas. Learn more about the open source Etherpad project at Etherpad.org. As a product alternative, users can also create Google Docs collaborations in Canvas."

I can find no entries related to EtherPad that are more recent than 2015.

Good luck,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jsavage2 

What I have learned is that EtherNet is a discontinued product, but that an open-source version can be set up on your own server then linked to Canvas.

I found the following note at the top of the 7/18/2015 Release Note ,

"EtherPad Collaborations: August 8

On August 8, 2015, all existing Etherpad collaborations that are hosted by Canvas will be permanently deleted. Institutions who still want to use Etherpad as a collaboration tool can set up their own Etherpad server and integrate it with Canvas. Learn more about the open source Etherpad project at Etherpad.org. As a product alternative, users can also create Google Docs collaborations in Canvas."

I can find no entries related to EtherPad that are more recent than 2015.

Good luck,

Kelley

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
0 Kudos