cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Evolve tests sent to canvas?

Jump to solution

Our nursing program is just switching over to Canvas.  I have set up my modules and linked Evolve for the students to have access to what they need.  I have also assigned the practice NCLEX testing and require they earn an 80% or better on the practice exam and allow them to take it as often as they need to in order to achieve those results.  I can not figure out how to ensure the grades from evolve get published in canvas after they complete the tests.  In evolve it would automatically populate into the grade book and then update if they took the exam a second or third time. The link is available for the students but how can canvas be set up in order for their grades to populate properly?

Thank you

Krista

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

I just set this up for our nursing and HIT faculty, but they won't be using it until fall semester. Your Canvas admin has to do a 2 step process by first integrating Evolve into your instance of Canvas, and then the 2nd step is to enable grade pass/outcome set up. This link will show both steps:

https://evolve.elsevier.com/education/docs/on-demand-learning/evolve-training/Evolve-Link-Setup-Canv... 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello appemankrista@gmail.com Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question here.  This one might be a bit tough to diagonse.  I am assuming that you or your school's local Canvas admin has properly set up the LTI connection between Evolve and Canvas (I found this link for reference: On Demand Learning - LTI Integration | Elsevier Evolve)?  If so, have you reached out to the folks at Evolve to see if they would be able to provide any assistance?  Since Evolve is essentially a third-party product integrating with Canvas, they might be the ones you should check with since it's their product.  I found this support page for you: Home - Evolve Support Center.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Krista!

Highlighted
Explorer

I just set this up for our nursing and HIT faculty, but they won't be using it until fall semester. Your Canvas admin has to do a 2 step process by first integrating Evolve into your instance of Canvas, and then the 2nd step is to enable grade pass/outcome set up. This link will show both steps:

https://evolve.elsevier.com/education/docs/on-demand-learning/evolve-training/Evolve-Link-Setup-Canv... 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

We have been going through this same process with Elsevier/Evolve. I have corresponded with several Canvas admins at other institutions with the same concerns about giving admin-level tokens to Elsevier. The teacher role should  be sufficient for grade pass-through, but Elsevier is requiring admin level permissions? Several admins are refusing to do this. With an admin-level token, you can do just about anything with the Canvas API.  Other publishers are not requiring admin tokens, at least the ones I've setup.  I think this is a real problem. I also don't like setting up a hightail.com account to send the token. If other publishers can handle grade pass-through without admin tokens, why can't Elsevier.

Highlighted

Okay, this puts a question out there...what access DOES this give publishers??? Curious to know if anyone more tech savvy than myself would know the implications of using user-generated tokens with integrations in Canvas.

Highlighted

The simple answer is too much access. You can see what an admin level can do by going to the Canvas Live API page:

Canvas Live API 

My guess is that "Evolve Link" was rushed out due to time constraints.  I know that when I troubleshoot web applications on development systems, I sometimes open up security to make things work. Later, I go back and tighten things back up. The use of an admin token may have solved some problems in the Evolve Link LTI development, but maybe they ran out of time. I doubt it's nefarious, but it's a security issue.  In the interim, we need alternatives or refinement to the method in the documentation - until Elsevier has a better LTI. 

I currently have one possible solution that I'm testing. It's crude, but if successful it minimizes access.  Our Canvas account hierarchy has the academic departments in a sub-account off the institutional root. The Nursing department is in a sub-account and there is a Resources sub-account beneath Nursing. I'm creating an special admin account at the Nursing sub-account level. The goal is to use the Evolve Link Outcomes (Grade Reporting) documentation to set it up only on the Nursing sub-account. Theoretically this would limit Elsevier's admin access to the Nursing sub-account. If it works, then I can go back and turn off permissions to this special admin account, testing each and identifying which permissions break the LTI and which do not.

Paul