Excluding resubmitted work from late penalties while keeping the due date?

Jump to solution
jflores26
Community Explorer

I have most of my assignments set up for automatic late penalties, so that if a student submits an assignment, quiz, or discussion post late, there is a corresponding late penalty. However, I have some assignments where I allow students to resubmit work for a better grade as these are meant for practice rather than immediate mastery.

What I have tried doing in the past is removing the due date so that the late penalties don't apply, but I've noticed that the due dates help in reminding students that they have work to do. So I keep the due date, but I end up manually removing late penalties for every student that resubmits their work, which I find incredibly tedious.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can make this easier on myself?

0 Likes
2 Solutions
kona
Community Champion

@jflores26 , greetings! Your conundrum brings up an important consideration (and limitation) of using late penalties. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a better way to do what you are doing and use late penalties. My recommendation is to consider creating this as a new Idea (feature) in Canvas - Ideas. I did a search and found other late penalty ideas, but nothing that seemed similar to what you are wanting. If you do create an idea, please provide the link here so others who find your question can vote and comment on your idea.

Thanks! Kona

View solution in original post

0 Likes
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @jflores26 - Have you seen Resubmission in Ideas Conversations? I hope you can rate the idea and add to the discussion! 

View solution in original post

0 Likes