cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elizabeth_Clark
Community Member

Exempting a grade i. e. drop lowest grade "manually'

Jump to solution

I am aware of the option to change settings to an assignment groups of dropping the lowest grade; however, can the instructor "manually" select the lowest grade or a grade to be exempt?

Example:

My assignment group is Quizzes/Homework and is weighted as 30% of the total grade (per my institution's distribution requirements)

I want to drop the lowest homework grade AND drop the lowest quiz grade.

The Homework group will also have one assignment not eligible for being dropped or exempt.

How can this be done?

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Elizabeth_Clark ​ it will take a little more effort than the Canvas setting, but ultimately you could go to the gradebook and for the grade you want dropped for each student just remove it. Not with a zero, but with a literal blank (highlight the grade and click the delete button). By doing this the assignment will no longer count towards the student's grade. Yet, because you are manually doing this I would (1) make a back-up of all the grades ahead of time - screen shot or print off the gradebook and (2) in the comments for the assignment (that the student sees), indicate what the original grade was and that you "dropped" the grade because it was the lowest. I suggest this so that way you have what the original grades were and there is a record of it for the student to see what their original grade was on the assignment. [Side note: If you were able to have Canvas do the drop grade the original grade would still be there just grayed out.]

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Elizabeth_Clark ​ it will take a little more effort than the Canvas setting, but ultimately you could go to the gradebook and for the grade you want dropped for each student just remove it. Not with a zero, but with a literal blank (highlight the grade and click the delete button). By doing this the assignment will no longer count towards the student's grade. Yet, because you are manually doing this I would (1) make a back-up of all the grades ahead of time - screen shot or print off the gradebook and (2) in the comments for the assignment (that the student sees), indicate what the original grade was and that you "dropped" the grade because it was the lowest. I suggest this so that way you have what the original grades were and there is a record of it for the student to see what their original grade was on the assignment. [Side note: If you were able to have Canvas do the drop grade the original grade would still be there just grayed out.]

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Hi Elizabeth, the easiest thing to do would be to make a separate category for Quizzes and another for Homework but if that is not an option due to your institution's requirements, then I can't think of a better way to do it than what  @kona ​ described above.

I would also create two separate categories. When you set that, you can also indicate to never drop X assignment (for the Homework), so you don't have to worry about that homework being the one that's dropped.

The problem with just leaving the score blank is that if your grades sync with your grade system (ie. Banner), the score used there is with the ungraded as 0 even if that option isn't checked...