Export individual question banks

Jump to solution
sarahs
Community Novice

Is there a way to export individual question banks as separate files, rather than exporting specific quizzes and/or the entire course? Thank you.

1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@sarahs , as you've already surmised, you can export a quiz, but not an individual question bank, as a file. These are the steps to create a quiz from a question bank and then export it as a file:

1. Make a single, unpublished quiz selecting each of the questions from the question bank.
  2. Export that quiz via course Settings > Export Course Content > Type: Quiz > and select only your new quiz.
  3. Download that newly created export.
  4. You can share that file; they, in turn, would choose QTI zip for the Type and then select the new quiz export to be processed
  5. The import will create a quiz and the associated question bank. You can then delete the quiz if desired.

Here are some other methods of sharing quiz questions:

• Question banks can be bookmarked and shared from course to course. Once a user bookmarks a question bank, that question bank becomes available in his or her other courses as well. This lesson from the Canvas Guides explains that: How do I bookmark a Question Bank in my course?
  • Some schools use Canvas Commons to share content. For more information, see How do I share a resource to Commons?
  • Other schools opt to create a shared repository within their accounts so that numerous teachers can draw from the same resources.  @clong ​ suggests that your school can "create a new course shell (with the teachers who are collaborating enrolled as TAs or Teachers) in this course. This course can then serve as a space to build and house these quizzes and then they can import the quizzes into any of the courses they teach."

View solution in original post