cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yates
Community Member

Exporting Canvas Survey Data

Jump to solution

If I wanted to crate a survey in Canvas and then export the data to survey monkey, would that work? 

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yates
Community Member

Thank you everyone!

I spoke to Canvas ADMIN and it seems that the Google Form is the best way

to go about this.

I appreciate all the feedback. Ya'all are awesome.

Sharla

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 2:26 PM, stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@yates , welcome to the Canvas Community. I've never actually tried importing data into SurveyMonkey, but I use it a lot to conduct survey's and your question got me curious. I did some checking and found the following resource - Can I upload or import a survey? The important part of this resource is the following - 

...if you gathered responses offline, there isn't a way to upload or import import responses in bulk or a spreadsheet of responses—but you can manually enter each response into SurveyMonkey, as long as you create the survey in SurveyMonkey first.

Based on this it seems like if you want the data to be in SurveyMonkey it would be in your best interests to create the survey there and then add the link to your course.

In addition to this, if you do use the Survey tool in Canvas, here is how you can view and export the results - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9951-415268348 

Hope this helps!

yates
Community Member

Thank you for that help Kona Jones.

This course is open and self-paced, so the idea of manually submitting

responses would be tedious. I wanted to lock the modules so that it forced

survey completion, but it seems the only way to do this is to use a Canvas

survey, not a link to an outside survey -- otherwise, that would be such an

easy solution.

Sharla

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @yates ‌

Here is another technique that would permit you to collect survey data (in fact, it is automatically collected for you), and lock the remaining module content or a subsequent module until the survey is completed.

Embed a Google Form in an assignment, and set module restrictions based on completion of that assignment. Here is how I did it............

• Create the survey as a Google Form,
  • Create the assignment and select online submission>Text Box>Complete/Incomplete scoring, include points as desired;
  • Embed the form in the instructions of the assignment including instructions advising students to complete the survey, then submit a text note telling you they are done.
  • Set module requirements requiring students to complete the assignment before they can move forward.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

yates
Community Member

Hi Kelly,

Thanks! Does google forms easily load into Survey Monkey? Is that the

advantage of doing it this way?

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 11:46 AM, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'm sorry, Sharla, I missed that part of your question.

No, it does not, but you won't need it to. A Google Form automatically feeds its data to a Responses spreadsheet. That spreadsheet can be downloaded as a CSV file, which can be saved in Excel, and manipulated to your heart's content.

You can learn lots of cool Google/Canvas tips and tricks at https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/23/using-google-docs-for-dynamic-canva... 

Was there some reason you need it to go to SurveyMonkey?

Kelley

yates
Community Member

Hi Kelley,

I don't have to push it through Survey Monkey if it's easy to access and analyze in Google Forms (which I assume it is).

Thanks for this!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

So what about this...

1. Create the survey in SurveyMonkey, on the last page of the survey (make sure this is a different page than the survey questions) provide a thank you and a special code - would be the same code for everyone, but that's ok. Also make sure to remind people to write down the code and go back and enter it into the quiz question in Canvas.

2. Create a Quiz. Create a numerical answer quiz question and include the link to the survey and directions that they should enter in the code from the end of the survey as the answer. This way when students enter in the number and click submit they will get the 1 point (or whatever) for getting the right answer and could then move on in the course.

OR, if you don't want to go the code route you could use the same basic set-up, but using a multiple choice question and just ask the students to select the answer option of Yes, I've completed the survey once they are done. That would still accomplish the same thing as the first option, but wouldn't require the students enter a code.

Here's an example of how each question would look. Question 1 is the numerical answer quiz question and Question 2 is the multiple choice quiz question.

255299_SurveyMonkeyQuestion.jpg

yates
Community Member

Thank you everyone!

I spoke to Canvas ADMIN and it seems that the Google Form is the best way

to go about this.

I appreciate all the feedback. Ya'all are awesome.

Sharla

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 2:26 PM, stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

View solution in original post

yates
Community Member

Love the code idea. If the Google Forms doesn't work for any reason, I'm going to try this one.

Thank you!