Exporting course from one instance to another, getting "Your migration cannot exceed 500.0 MB"

Jump to solution
melissabeckcox
Community Member

Hello. I am trying to export a course from one instance of Canvas to another. FYI: I am (unfortunately) the Canvas admin and I cannot "Copy a Canvas Course" because there are different logins for the different instances. So ... I opened the first instance, exported the course. Opened the second instance, attempted to import the "Canvas Course Export Package" and got the error "Your migration cannot exceed 5000.0 MB."

How do I get around this? Should I attempt to zip the export then import "Unzip .zip file into folder"? 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @melissabeckcox ...

If you are a Canvas administrator, you should be able to go into the course where you are wanting to import your course export package, go to the "Settings" page of that course, and then change the available quota to a size that would meet and/or exceed the size of the course you had exported from your other Canvas environment.  Then, just import the course export package, and you should be "good to go".  Please let us know if that helps...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post