cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmunoz1
Learner II

External Rubrics Couldn't Be Found

Hi! I need help! :smileylaugh:

We use commons rubrics for our courses in a specific sub account. We have faced some errors named "External Rubrics couldn't be found".

External rubric error.png

This happens in courses that are in a different sub account than where the rubrics are, I know this is the problem. But I have a theory that if I change the name of the rubric at the time I place it in the activity, the rubric would automatically be native in the course (breaking it's link with the sub account) and therefore not reproducing the error once we copy the course to another sub account.

If anyone can give me any pointers, they would be well received!

Tags (2)
8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jmunoz1 ​...

Since you mentioned "Commons" in your question, and since this question has been sitting here without an answer for a few days, I'm going to tag Deactivated user​, Commons Project Manager, in this topic.  Maybe she can help shed some light on the error message you are seeing.

Hi Chris! Thanks for the help but we don´t work with Commons yet. By commons I meant that we share rubrics within our courses. Anyways, thank you sooo much for helping! Smiley HappySmiley Wink

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Oh...I see.  Well, if you are getting an error message, have you tried contacting the Instructure Help Desk staff yet?  They may be able to help.  Also, I am going to tag Deactivated user​ from Instructure in my reply...she might have some ideas because I think she works with assessments and the gradebook.

mcsmith
Instructure
Instructure

Good Morning  @jmunoz1 ​,

I have dug into this and it appears you may have discovered a new bug. Would you kindly submit a ticket to our support team so they can begin to investigate? You can submit a ticket by clicking help at the bottom of the Canvas site. Once our support team gets the ticket and have it figured out, we can figure out next steps. We will get back with you as soon as we have more information.

Thank you for your post!

Sure! Thanks!

FYI  @farbelaez ​  @xcotto ​

Hello  @jmunoz1 ​ and Deactivated user​,

Reading through this thread I am wondering whether this is really a bug or whether it is designed functionality.  If I understand correctly when you copy a course to a location where the linked rubric is not accessible (copying from commons or a different sub-account) Canvas tells you the rubric that was linked to in the old location is not accessible to the course in the new location and so Canvas makes a new local copy.  Is that correct?

Thanks,

Scott

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jmunoz1 ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

cesbrandt
Adventurer III

I know, this is a bit of an old topic, but I hadn't found any others regarding the subject and I'm only providing information, not asking a question.

I just want to respond here as this was something we encountered this term with a rubric created in a course that was linked to multiple activity. As we investigated, we were unable to find any definitive information identifying whether it was intended functionality or a bug, so a ticket was submitted to Instructure support. Here is the information provided by a Canvas L1 Support Engineer:

I was speaking with our next level of support and they stated "If you import a course into a context that doesn't already have the rubric that is part of the course present, it is creating a new one, and simply telling the end user that this is what is happening." This should not cause any issues for you, but if you do see anything strange with the rubric, please don't hesitate to let us know.

In shorter terms, the warning does not reflect any change in user experience or functionality and can be taken as purely informational. The warning just says "the original rubric couldn't be linked from the location this course was placed at, so we copied it". Rather, that's my interpretation.