Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ekitayev
Community Member

External fonts hosting for font style definition in custom CSS

Jump to solution

Hi

We are using custom CSS for our account. It includes custom fonts definition like

@font-face {
font-family: "SourceSansPro-ExtraLightItalic";
src: url(/fonts/SourceSansPro-ExtraLightItalic.ttf);
font-weight: 200;
font-style: italic;
}

is there way to host font files (for example, part highlighted in red above) inside Canvas? What is the recommended storage?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MattHanes
Lamplighter

We try to only use fonts that are hosted by google specifically to avoid having to store them ourselves. We do have a few custom icons and things that we host outside of Canvas. We use a Microsoft Azure Blob storage (stupid name...) because it comes with our MSDN accounts. You can get some cheap CDN storage or some Amazon S3 to host your files. You might find that the tech department at your institution already has some storage accounts that can be used for this. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @ekitayev  Welcome to the Canvas Community! Due to the technical nature of your question, I've shared it with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=7c2fc662-052d-4ee1-b678-224432d1522...‌ and https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=51046f99-53c5-4fd5-9df3-...‌ groups. If you're not yet a member of those groups, you can easily join by navigating to the group home page and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown at the upper right of the page.

MattHanes
Lamplighter

We try to only use fonts that are hosted by google specifically to avoid having to store them ourselves. We do have a few custom icons and things that we host outside of Canvas. We use a Microsoft Azure Blob storage (stupid name...) because it comes with our MSDN accounts. You can get some cheap CDN storage or some Amazon S3 to host your files. You might find that the tech department at your institution already has some storage accounts that can be used for this. 

View solution in original post

Probably a noob question, but how do you "use" the Google fonts within a page? 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @ekitayev ‌...

Even though I don't have an answer for you, I thought I would check in with you because we haven't heard from you since you first posted this question on March 17th.  Have you had a chance to review the above response from stefaniesanders‌ and  @MattHanes ‌?  If so, did either of their responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your initial question?  Please go ahead and mark one of the above replies as "Correct" if you feel that it helped answer your question.  However, if you are still seeking help with your question, let us know that as well by posting a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to work with you on your question.  Because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular question for well over a month, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Kate!

ekitayev
Community Member

Hi Chris,

Thanks for  the reminder. The issue is solved. We use Amazon hosting to store fonts there.

There was issue with Cross-Origin resource sharing policy which disables access  to the fonts for external domains. We've contact hosting provider and after enabling this option everything works good.