cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prudd
Surveyor

Extra Credit Group

How does one make an extra-credit group so that points only count as extra credit? Specifically, how can you add zero as a grade for an assignment not attempted and have that not lower a student’s grade? If it is extra credit, then zero added should not lower the grade.

7 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @prudd  - There are a couple of different ways to award extra credit in a course. The best guides about extra credit are How do I give extra credit in a course? and Extra credit using weighted assignment groups. I hope these are helpful!

These do not have the answer.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@prudd , could you provide more information about your question/problem so we can try to help?

No answer at those links.

@prudd , I wrote the resource to which  @klundstrum ‌ provided the link earlier--https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5612-extra-credit-using-weighted-assignment-groups?sr=searc...‌--and on the face of it, at least, the use case you've described in your prompt sounds very much like mine. It has always worked well for me, as long as I remind my students that they won't see extra credit reflected in their grades until after all other assignments have been graded. (And I made sure to design the extra credit activity so that it lasts the entire semester.) If you still need help with this, could you please post your questions in the comments section of the resource?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Philip, did Stefanie's answer help? If not, could you explain a bit more about the problem you're having with assigning extra credit?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @prudd ‌...

It has been over a month since there has been any new activity in this particular discussion topic, and so I thought I would check in with you.  In reading the above replies, it looks like additional information is being requested from you.  Have you had a chance to review all of the replies above?  If so, could you please come back to provide the information that is needed so that we can continue to help you?  In addition, if you are still looking for help with this, please let us know that, too.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite a while, but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Philip.