Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ketencgs
Community Member

Extra Credit Question/Concern

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I have a quick question regarding how to give Extra Credit in a course. I've already read all the help pages on Extra Credit, and while I found them very helpful, they didn't quite answer the question I have.

What I do in my face-to-face course is offer 2% extra credit at the end of the semester to students with perfect attendance. The 2% is added to their overall final grade percentage. So, for instance, if the student has an 85% in the class, but they have perfect attendance, I add 2% extra credit to their final grade percentage to bring them up to an 87%.

In Etudes, there was an Extra Credit category of assignments in the Gradebook that used to allow me to set this up. However, since Canvas only allows you to add Extra Credit to an existing category of assignments, does this mean I am not able to add 2% extra credit to the overall grade in the Gradebook feature? Is there a way to work around this?

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thank you!

Grigor Ketenchian

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hello  @ketencgs  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  I think that the ever-reliable and great stefaniesanders‌ may have a solution for you in a document that she published earlier on the Community.  Take a look at this and see if you think that this may help in your case:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5612-extra-credit-using-weighted-assignment-groups This may work, since it matches your scenario of waiting until the end of the term, as you want to do.  If it does not, my apologies.  (I admit I have not used this method myself in a class and am merely the messenger!)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hello  @ketencgs  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  I think that the ever-reliable and great stefaniesanders‌ may have a solution for you in a document that she published earlier on the Community.  Take a look at this and see if you think that this may help in your case:  https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5612-extra-credit-using-weighted-assignment-groups This may work, since it matches your scenario of waiting until the end of the term, as you want to do.  If it does not, my apologies.  (I admit I have not used this method myself in a class and am merely the messenger!)

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@ketencgs ‌ and  @kblack , I could have sworn I had answered this question, and at first I thought I was losing my mind--but then I realized that Grigor has posted this question twice! Please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/message/76264-questioncomment-about-extra-credit-and-gradebook for my response, which is the same as Ken's.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ketencgs ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie