cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waz107
Community Member

Extra Credit Quiz

Jump to solution

Is there an easy way to create an extra credit quiz in Canvas? 

I have been reading some of the older Q&A posts from a year or two ago and saw a few work arounds, but nothing straight forward. I'm working with a relatively large course (550 students across 12 sections) and do not want to have to do any manual changes because it will take a lot of the instructors' time. And, also because this is at the end of the semester and I don't want students to have to wait to be able to see what their grades actually are.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Unfortunately there's no way to do this in Canvas. Smiley Sad

Yet, there is hope because I've heard this functionality is coming in the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@waz107 , I haven't actually done this with a quiz--only with an assignment--but in theory the process should work for any graded assignment. But it only works at the end of the semester, so if you need students to see accurate grades before that, this remedy probably isn't for you (so don't read on!).

As long as you're using weighted assignment groups, you can follow the instructions in Extra credit using weighted assignment groups.

Briefly stated, you'd put the quiz in its own assignment group, and make it worth 0%. (I would also mute the assignment in the Gradebook to avoid creating confusion.) After students who wish to complete the quiz have done so (and after the due/available until dates pass), the teacher will assign a default grade of 0 in the Gradebook for the quiz and change the assignment group weighting to be whatever percentage of the grade the extra credit should contribute.

This needs to be well communicated to students in advance so that your instructors aren't barraged with 550 questions about the extra credit process. Smiley Happy

Again, the best time to do this is at the end of the semester, so students will only see accurate grades after grades have been entered for all of the other assignments in the class.

I am hopeful that others can come up with a solution that better fits your use case.

waz107
Community Member

Thanks, but I am looking for something that would immediately/automatically update their overall course grade. 

There are some quizzes, including this extra credit on, that they can take multiple times. If they are trying to reach a certain grade in the course I want them to know for sure when they have met that standard and can stop retaking quizzes.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Unfortunately there's no way to do this in Canvas. Smiley Sad

Yet, there is hope because I've heard this functionality is coming in the Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine

View solution in original post