Extra Credit in a Specific Weighted Grade Area

Jump to solution
eva08121984
Community Member

I'm trying to figure out a way to add extra credit to a specific weighted grade. I have reading quizzes weighted a 22.5% total (averaging out the grades of 15 or so quizzes). I had students take a quick survey on an upcoming midterm issue and told them I would count it as an extra 100 into their quiz averages. I thought if I just created a graded survey that students could receive the 100 points for answering and that would be that, but it is punishing students who did not take the survey (it was optional, as it was extra credit). 
What can I do to fix this? Should I set the points value of the survey at 0 rather than 100? Would that solve the problem? 
Thanks in advance! 

1 Solution
valentinesking
Community Champion

Howdy @eva08121984 !

It awesome when folks answer their own questions correctly! By changing it to 0, anyone who completes - you can give them the 100 points (out of 0) so it ends up being extra credit. No need to enter a grade for those who don't complete it. It should work as you intend. I always use the "test student" ie student view to enter scores and see how it calculate to ensure it works as I intend it.

Hope that helps!

Sky V. King

View solution in original post