Extra credit on exam

Jump to solution
adessler
Community Member

I gave a exam recently and put 104 points on the test with the intention of the test would be out of 100 points, with the possibility of getting as much as 4 points of extra credit (so people could get 104 on the test).  When calculating the total class grade, I'd like this exam to count as if the test were out of 100 points.  However, there doesn't seem to be any way to set the points on the test to be 100 if the test has 104 points on it.  I searched the forum and didn't find a similar question, but I can't believe I'm the only person trying to do this.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
edenos
Community Explorer

You need to make your test only be worth 100 points.  When you grade your individual students tests through speed grader there is an option at the bottom bottom of the tests that says  "fudge points".  You can type in how many "extra credit" points you want the student to receive and it will add it to their total score making the score that they can receive 104/100.

View solution in original post

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@adessler  If the test is a paper copy handed out to students, then you can just make the assignment worth 100 points and enter in up to 104 for the score.

If you are using speed grader on a canvas quiz, then @edenos is correct - set up the quiz for 100 points and depending on where the extra credit comes from will determine how to make the change. Add fudge points if that is possible.  Or, if it is individual questions - just assign those questions to be worth 0 points.  Then in the question state that it is worth the extra credit point value.

If you are using a rubric with an assignment, make the rubric worth the 104 points, but assign 100 points to the assignment - you will be given a warning on the rubric that the grade discrepancy exists, but you can tell it to keep them different - I do this on my homework assignments.

Any other combination I am not sure about.  It really depends on how you are putting the test into Canvas and how you want to assign the extra points.

View solution in original post