cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Extra credit quiz questions?

Jump to solution

Is it possible to have extra credit questions on a quiz? For instance have 22 one-point questions on a 20 point value quiz... if it’s possible, how do I do that? Thanks! 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

sharris@yccd.edu, the quick response is not easily. One thing you could do is set 20 questions worth 1 point. Then the two extra credit ones would need to be worth zero. You would then have have to go in and manually grade the two extra credit questions. 

So yes, possible. Easy, no. 😞

Kona

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

sharris@yccd.edu, the quick response is not easily. One thing you could do is set 20 questions worth 1 point. Then the two extra credit ones would need to be worth zero. You would then have have to go in and manually grade the two extra credit questions. 

So yes, possible. Easy, no. 😞

Kona

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, sharris@yccd.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on January 29, 2018.  It looks like kona@richland.edu‌ replied to you later that day.  Have you had a chance to review Kona's response?  Did her feedback help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance from members of the Community?  If you feel that Kona's feedback has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark her reply as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this thread to post an update for us so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard from you for almost four months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for that same amount of time.  That won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic, however.  I hope that's alright with you, Sissa.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Highlighted

Are you creating a bonus box for questions? So an instructor could just click a box for bonus on a question?

Highlighted
Community Member

Any update on this? I've tried to look at the quizzes.next thread, but could not find anything about this. This is a very important feature, and turning zeroes to other scores manually is too much added work to be manageable.

I know that software engineering is not easy, but this is a very basic function that should be remedied. Thanks.

Highlighted

I couldn't agree more, Daniel. I have a hard time comprehending why Canvas's extra credit design is, frankly, so bad/difficult/time-consuming. The only wild speculation that comes to mind is that it could be ideological (?). Like its designers don't really believe in extra credit and so don't really want to accommodate it? In any case, it puts those of us who include extra credit questions in quizzes/tests in a serious quandary. Thus far I've "raged against the machine" and refused the tedious process of manually altering every individual student quiz that includes extra credit, but in that case students are unaware of their exact grade average. 

Is there a way to get this fixed?

Highlighted

Thanks...I just now had the same question. Adopted Canvas in August but haven't used it for exams until now. I always have, say, 105 points available in a 100 point test. So if a student thinks a certain question is not fair, I don't feel bad because we can call that an extra credit question. All we need is to be able to specify how many points each question is worth, like we can now, but also specify how many points the whole test is worth. So I'd have 105 1-point multiple choice questions, but the test is worth 100 points. 

Highlighted

I was the original questioner. The only way to do extra credit is to make certain questions worth zero points and then go in and manually adjust each student’s score. I wish there were another option. It doesn’t seem anyone else has come up with a workaround that’s less hands on. 

Sissa Harris

Highlighted
Surveyor

just to add two cents to this thread. We are just starting to use Canvas and an extra credit feature in the grading system would be a big help. Not all my assignments and exams are digital and to have to fudge the extra credit confuses students with the solutions presented here and in other threads (for instance have an extra credit placeholder assignment). All these workarounds add extra work to recording grades and slows down the feedback process to students.

Highlighted

Well I may have found the answer to this thread. According to the following link. Canvas will allow more than the limited number of points on an assignment. I haven't tried this but maybe this is the answer. Does some know?

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/13645-how-can-i-create-a-bonus-question-adding-extra-credit-p...