cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Feedback on assignments that are still being worked on

HOW can teachers provide comments, feedback, and collaborate on an INDIVIDUAL student's Google Doc assignment BEFORE it is submitted? I want to review and guide students progress AS they work on a Google Doc and not have to wait to see the document before they turn it into Canvas. Can we see students work on assignments "live" to provide assistance and monitor progress?

Labels (3)
4 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

Have you tried having the student add you to those who can access the document? This should enable you to see and work with the document just as anyone else sharing the document.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

This is not a function, and for teachers who are required to move from Google Classroom to Canvas, this is a terrible loss.

Students can submit, and you will get a link to their doc, but you will only see what they did before submitting and they will lose edit access.

If they unsubmit, they regain edit access, but you lose the link to their doc.  The only "work around," and I hesitate to call it that, is to go into your "assignments" folder in your Google Drive, chose the class, choose the assignment, and then open up each students' work one by one.  When you do this, you can use normal comments, like any Google Doc, but not the grading comment bar on the right, so you lose that function.

As someone who has been spending hours trying not to recreate everything I've already created in Google, I am extremely disappointed, and worried for how much time everything takes to create in Canvas.  

Highlighted
Surveyor

I am particularly frustrated because I understood from this Canvas video that this feature was coming this August.  I need to be able to monitor work BEFORE it's turned in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I have the same concern as kbrewer1.  I also got the impression from that video that I would be able to see students docs as they are working on them, not just after they submit.  Is this a feature that is being added soon?

0 Kudos
Labels