File extensions

Jump to solution
dcostanza
Community Novice

Has anyone had this issue?  After putting in parameters for acceptable document extensions, it seems that more than once, the system has defaulted back to one type of extension.  For example, when I go in to make the manual change every week, which I have to do, (that's another issue) I type in .doc,.docx but it does not seem to hold that entry.  This has been happening throughout the semester.  I have to repeatedly go back in to the assignment and manually put in the same information, i.e., the acceptable extensions for uploading files.  Please advise, someone.  Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @dcostanza ...

Take a look at this Guide: How do I create an online assignment?.  Scroll down to the section on "Restrict File Types".  I think the issue that you are experiencing is how you are defining which file types that are acceptable.  For example, you have stated that you are accepting .doc and .docx file types.  However, if you take a look at the included screen shot in the Guide that I have linked, you'll see that there is no period in front of any of the file extensions listed.  So, for your example, I think you will want to have something like this: doc,docx.  I just tried entering .doc,.docx like you had, and Canvas did strip the period once the assignment saved, but you might want to just try it without the period in front to see if that works for you.  If that does not work, you may need to reach out to Canvas Support to see if they can be of further assistance.  How to contact Canvas Support

I hope this will help a bit, Debra.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

View solution in original post

0 Likes