cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

File management

Jump to solution

I teach several sections of the same course.  I usually important content.  However, I end up with multiple versions of the same file.  Is there a cleaner way to handle files without having them duplicated over and over.  I have copied by specific content but still get multiple files.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi nhoyt​,

It took me a few close reads and some testing, but I believe I understand what is happening and why. It sounds like when you go to copy content from your original course to a new one you are selecting everything or the assignment and the file, so this will cause the duplicates in the files that you are seeing.

To answer your question "If I don't copy files and just copy assignments which have files associate with them what would happen?"  If you just copy the assignment, it will automatically bring over any files that are part of the assignment as well. So that would be what you will want to do after you do your initial copy. Once you select only the assignments your problems with duplicates will be long gone :smileygrin:

41462_pastedImage_2.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Hey nhoyt​, if you hadn't mentioned that you have tried selecting specific content, I would have assumed the source course (where you are importing from) contained duplicates. If you are importing selectively are you selecting the entire files section are just specific files? Also, have you made sure the destination course (the course you are importing to) is completely empty first? You can ensure you are starting with a completely empty course by reseting course content (How do I reset course content?​)

With some more information I'm sure we can figure this out.

Highlighted

the course I am copying to is empty.I have set up a new course to build on for summer semester.  The files in there currently are only in there once.  what appears to have happened in the past is I have the original class.  I copy content and then I have the original file and a renamed one with a 1,added to file name. 

So it appears that it adds to the files section everytime the course is copied etc.  The assignments show up once, but under files, they are there multiple times.  This is what I would like to get rid of. 

If I don't copy files and just copy assignments which have files associate with them what would happen?

If I am understanding what appears to be happening, everytime I add a file to an assignment it is also added to files.  I have tried uploading the file from the Canvas Files but it still will add a digit to the end of the file name and I end up with one more in the list under Files.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi nhoyt​,

It took me a few close reads and some testing, but I believe I understand what is happening and why. It sounds like when you go to copy content from your original course to a new one you are selecting everything or the assignment and the file, so this will cause the duplicates in the files that you are seeing.

To answer your question "If I don't copy files and just copy assignments which have files associate with them what would happen?"  If you just copy the assignment, it will automatically bring over any files that are part of the assignment as well. So that would be what you will want to do after you do your initial copy. Once you select only the assignments your problems with duplicates will be long gone :smileygrin:

41462_pastedImage_2.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Learner II

Also, if you use an external file manage system like Box, you can simply provide LTI links to your Box content (files or entire folders).  Then when you import the course, you are just importing the LTI links to the content, but the content stays safely managed by Box.  This is also nice if you need to update a file.  If you edit a document, all courses who link to that file instantly have access to the edited document.  Box usually gives a 50GB storage quote as well, so you don't have to worry about filling up your 500MB (or whatever your school allows) quota in Canvas.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Nancy,

Are you using the Sections feature in your courses? Your Canvas Admin may have to set this up for you, but if you define sections within your "Master Course," you can only import files once, and assign to specific groups/sections, as well as provide access to items for those groups. As an Admin, this is what I do when instructors have multiple sections.....keep one Master Copy, then just add sections that they can experiment with and assign depending on the needs of the individual section.