cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gary_palmer
Surveyor

File name cut off

Jump to solution

I can't see my entire file name and extension. How do I manipulate column or font to see long file names?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @gary_palmer ​,

According to the June 25th, 2016 release notes​,

Long File Names

File names are truncated if they are longer than 65 characters.

Explanation: When a user uploaded a file with a name longer than 65 characters, the file pushed the files content window to the left. Canvas code has been updated to truncate file names if they are longer than 65 characters.

So my assumption is that that's what you're seeing, which is expected behavior.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gary_palmer ​, where is this happening? Modules? Files? Both? In general I've had this issue as well and other than zooming out (so making the font size smaller on my screen via the browser zoom function) I don't think there is a good way to see this.

dwahl_sales
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @gary_palmer ​,

According to the June 25th, 2016 release notes​,

Long File Names

File names are truncated if they are longer than 65 characters.

Explanation: When a user uploaded a file with a name longer than 65 characters, the file pushed the files content window to the left. Canvas code has been updated to truncate file names if they are longer than 65 characters.

So my assumption is that that's what you're seeing, which is expected behavior.

View solution in original post

'Expected' doesn't mean 'acceptable', though! Most file storage systems would automatically show a 'tooltip'-type popup with the full file name, when you hovered the mouse over the name or otherwise selected it. Has anyone raised this as a change request? (I couldn't find one.)

@clare_davies , this feature idea will open for voting today:

This feature obviously never got enough votes, is it worth opening again? It's definitely a must have.

@rory_geoghegana ‌, if you think it's an idea that merits a new round of Community consideration, feel free to resubmit it, after reading How does the feature idea process work?‌ and How do I create a new feature idea?

RobDitto
Navigator

Here's a workaround which uses the toolbar labeled #2 in the screenshot under Move File at How do I move and organize my files as an instructor​:

If you click near the filename to select the file, and then press the "View" (eye icon) button in the Files toolbar, the full filename can be seen regardless of browser window size.  (This doesn't work the same way in Canvas mobile apps, however.)