cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
akoch
Surveyor

File organization

Is there a way to organize my assignments or quizzes by unit so that I don't have to scroll through them all when I am making a link to one in a page?

7 Replies
mmoore1
Explorer

We like to encourage faculty to use Modules as a way of setting up units.  The file system can become rather confusing to students, I agree.  I guess you could use folders if you wanted to.  Have you tried implementing Modules in your course?

Thanks for the response. I tried modules in the past, but prefer to set up

my class around pages. All of my documents are In google docs and I make

links to them in the pages. The problem comes when I try to make links to

canvas quizzes or assignments. I have so many that I have to scroll quite a

bit to find the correct one. They are alphabetized, but if I don’t remember

the exact name, it can be tedious to find the assignment. I can rename

quizzes and assignments to make them easier to find, but it makes more

sense for me to be able to sort them into folders by unit. Does that make

sense?

Amy

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <

orwinr
Learner II

Hi  @akoch ,

I guess I am wondering what you are wanting to do. Are you creating your assignments in the assignments area of Canvas and are you trying to organize assignments there so they are grouped by unit or are you trying to organize them in the files area? If you have a lot of assignments in the assignment area, they are organized in alphabetical order when you see them in the page editor and as far as I know there isn't a way to do it any different 😞 One idea that could make them easier to find is to change up the way you name your assignments so that all unit 1 assignments could start with something like "U1". This would make the list look like this:

U1 - Assignment Title 1

U1 - Assignment Title 2

U1 - Assignment Title 3

U2 - Assignment Title 1

U2 - Assignment Title 2

U2 - Assignment Title 3

U3 - Assignment Title 1

U3 - Assignment Title 2

U3 - Assignment Title 3

Something like this would definitely make each unit's assignment show up next to each other. 

Please let me know if I have misunderstood your dilemma and I can try and answer again.

Hi Stephanie

Thanks for the response. I have my class set up around pages. Each unit has

a page With links to document (I use google drive). The problem comes when

I try to make links to canvas quizzes or assignments. I have so many that I

have to scroll quite a bit to find the correct one. They are alphabetized,

but if I don’t remember the exact name, it can be tedious to find the

assignment. A naming convention like you suggested will work, but it won’t

solve the scrolling problem (and will require significant time for me to

rename them). Organizing them into folders would be easier. I tried sorting

them into different modules (I don’t give students access to the modules,

but I thought I could use it for personal organization), but they still

show up alphabetized when I try to link to them.

Is there a way to make this process easier?

Amy

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <

Hi Amy,

Unfortunately, I am not sure there is an easy way to simplify the scroll of death when you have lots of assignments and try to create links on a page. I took a quick gander in the ideas area to see if anybody has requested anything like this and didn't see anything. With that said, you could pop over to https://community.canvaslms.com/community/ideas and create a new idea using the "Share New Idea"  button at the bottom of the page on the right side.

mmoore1
Explorer

It seems like a healthy balance between pages and modules works best for us.  Yes, I don't want a long scrolled page, but I also find that pages going in various directions are hard for students to follow and for teachers to manage.  So for example a module could include

1. An intro to the week with a video announcement, goals for the week, and some important resources
  2. An activity based upon the referred resources
  3. A reflective discussion
  4. item
  5. item
  6. item

I am thinking about 5/7 items per module so the students really know what week they are in and can navigate easily.  While I love pages from a design standpoint.  Most instructors and students are looking for a simple structure to find stuff.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@akoch ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie