cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

File preview showing incorrect file contents

Jump to solution

I'm having an issue with the file preview feature of Canvas not showing the correct contents of text files.

Here's an example:

On a Canvas Page, I have linked several text files (which I have uploaded to the Canvas Files area):

272992_pastedImage_1.png

If I now click on the file preview for world2.txt, I see:

272996_pastedImage_2.png

Similarly, if I click on the world2.txt link, I see:

272997_pastedImage_3.png

However, when I download the file and open it up, I get:

272998_pastedImage_4.png

The downloaded version is correct (compared to what I uploaded to Canvas Files).

There are two issues with the preview versions:

1) The preview is adding a period (.) after some of the numbers which are not present in the existing text file. This is annoying, but the purposes of what I am doing in my course, ok (since 4 and 4. represent the same number in the program my students are using)

2) The preview versions are missing some lines and show a line that is not in the file!!! Specifically, the preview has

4. 4

5. 6  <--- line not in the actual file!

6. 4

while the actual file contains

4 4

4 5 <--- missing from preview!

5 6 <--- missing from preview!

6 4

This is a much more serious problem. What's going on? How can I make Canvas' preview show the actual contents of my text files?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

This is a bug in Canvas. I have reported it to the extent that my institution allows me to.

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

hasti@cs.wisc.edu, I haven’t seen anything like this before, but it’s definitely troubling. My recommendation is to submit this information to Canvas Support to see if they can help. You can do this by going into Canvas, clicking on Help, then click on Report a Problem. 

Highlighted

Thanks, kona@richland.edu. I'd love to report this problem, but it appears that that is not an option I am given at my institution:

273048_pastedImage_1.png

Is there somewhere within the Canvas Guides that I can access a "Report a Problem" feature?

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi hasti@cs.wisc.edu...

It looks like your school has done some custom work within the "Help" menu and is directing you to either the "Chat with DoIT Help Desk" or "DoIT Help Desk Support Hotline" options instead of the "Report a Problem" link.  Posting this issue to the bottom of a Canvas Guide isn't the same as reporting it as an issue via "Report a Problem" because tickets are not created when posting questions/comments to Guides (even though the Docs Team may reach out to you for assistance).  Have you tried either of the top two options that you have available?

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I second what Chris said, it looks like your school has its own system for Canvas Support and I’d try one of the top two options and see if they can help. Please let us know what you find out. 

Highlighted

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with DoIT's "help" desk having spent literally decades trying to get "help" from them (often I have had to start by convincing them that I have actually used the LMS before and in the past has quickly revealed that I know more about Canvas than they do). Hopefully, since they have taken away my ability to report a problem, they will take more responsibility for listening to and responding to Canvas help requests.

Highlighted
Surveyor

This is a bug in Canvas. I have reported it to the extent that my institution allows me to.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for updating us on this! Hopefully it will get fixed soon!

Highlighted

Not holding my breath. But it would be nice if someone could at least offer a workaround.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

I’m not sure what you subject you teach to know what workaround might be appropriate, but two things I was thinking of were: (1) putting the file content on a page - so the text of the file would be on a page in Canvas. Then tell students to copy and paste the content to their document. (2) Google Doc or Collaboration with the text. 

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels