cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

File upload icon? in Assignments

Jump to solution

I've created assignments and students can use a variety of formats to submit work online, but I don't see a link (icon) on the assignment page itself for students to actually add the file.
What am I missing in the set up of these Assignment pages?

Need quick answer (if possible) Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

howardmichaeldavis@gmail.com...

The screens you are seeing for setting up your assignment are going to look a bit different than they would for a student.  For example, it wouldn't really make sense for you to submit the assignment via your role because you are the instructor.  Thankfully, Instructure provides a "Student View" so you can see what the assignment will look like from a student's point of view.  How do I view a course as a test student using Student View?  So, create your assignment making sure that you have all your settings the way you want, and then use the Student View to see what it looks like.  Here are some additional Guides for students on how to submit assignments ... based on the kinds of assignment types you are allowing:

How do I submit an online assignment? 

How do I submit a text entry assignment? 

How do I submit a media file as an assignment submission?  

How do I submit an assignment on behalf of a group? 

How do I submit a peer review to an assignment? 

How do I upload a file as an assignment submission in Canvas? 

How do I upload a file from Google Drive as an assignment submission in Canvas? 

How do I submit a cloud assignment with Google Drive? 

How do I upload a file from Microsoft Office 365 as an assignment submission? 

How do I submit a cloud assignment with Microsoft Office 365? 

Also, these video tutorials for Students is a good resource:

I hope this information will be of help to you, Howard.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

The screens you are seeing for setting up your assignment are going to look a bit different than they would for a student.  For example, it wouldn't really make sense for you to submit the assignment via your role because you are the instructor.  Thankfully, Instructure provides a "Student View" so you can see what the assignment will look like from a student's point of view.  How do I view a course as a test student using Student View?  So, create your assignment making sure that you have all your settings the way you want, and then use the Student View to see what it looks like.  Here are some additional Guides for students on how to submit assignments ... based on the kinds of assignment types you are allowing:

How do I submit an online assignment? 

How do I submit a text entry assignment? 

How do I submit a media file as an assignment submission?  

How do I submit an assignment on behalf of a group? 

How do I submit a peer review to an assignment? 

How do I upload a file as an assignment submission in Canvas? 

How do I upload a file from Google Drive as an assignment submission in Canvas? 

How do I submit a cloud assignment with Google Drive? 

How do I upload a file from Microsoft Office 365 as an assignment submission? 

How do I submit a cloud assignment with Microsoft Office 365? 

Also, these video tutorials for Students is a good resource:

I hope this information will be of help to you, Howard.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for the quick response, but my problem is that in the student view I do not see a submit assignment button.

Highlighted

When you are logged in as yourself (not the Student View), take a look at the assignment settings again.  What do you have set for your "Submission Type"?  This should be "Online" if you want students to submit a document such as a Word document or PDF file to you.  (You'll need to select the "File Uploads" option, too.)  If you could maybe share a screen shot of your assignment settings, that would be helpful.

Thanks...

Highlighted

Aha! I think I left out one or more of those check boxes. Now, in student view I see "submit assignment."

Thanks for your responsiveness--it's greatly appreciated!  I have a show and tell with my client tomorrow first thing in the morning, and I needed content loaded & enough functionality in this module to help them understand what an online version of their course looks like and how students/instructors would interact. 

Highlighted

Nice!  Good luck with that!

Highlighted

Hi Chris,

Is there any "easy" way to look at all of the students' submission for a particular assignment. I saw the note about using Speed Grader to check for a student's submission, but is there a simpler way to open all student responses for a particular assignment.

Also, and I think you already answered this, but is there no other way--aside from Speed Grader-- to look at student (assignment) file submissions?

Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi howardmichaeldavis@gmail.com...

You caught me online before I grab some supper.  Let's see if we can get these questions answered for you...

Is there any "easy" way to look at all of the students' submission for a particular assignment. I saw the note about using Speed Grader to check for a student's submission, but is there a simpler way to open all student responses for a particular assignment.

For a given assignment, you can download all student submissions so that you can open them in an offline setting.  Please check out these Guides:

Also, and I think you already answered this, but is there no other way--aside from Speed Grader-- to look at student (assignment) file submissions?

SpeedGrader is the easiest way I can think of to get to all of your students' assignment submissions.  You can certainly go to your "Grades" page, but then you'll still need to use links on that page to get you to the SpeedGrader.

By chance, do you have the Canvas Teacher app installed on your mobile device?  If not, you can download the Canvas Teacher app to your mobile phone or tablet to do assignment grading, too.  Here are a couple Guides to get you started:

How do I download the Teacher app on my iOS device? 

How do I download the Teacher app on my Android device? 

I hope this information is helpful to you, Howard.

Highlighted

Thanks Chris for the very quick reply! I'll check it out.  Hope you're not caught in this heat wave.  Howard

Highlighted

Oh...I am, actually.  I live in Wisconsin.  Yesterday, we had a 104 degree heat index!  Last night and this morning into the afternoon...large severe thunderstorms.