cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Fill In Multiple Blanks with numerical tolerances

Jump to solution

1) In a questions with multiple parts, can I have one part that accepts a numerical answer, while the other accepts a "Fill in the Blank" text answer?  If it is possible, then the students can put in their numerical answers(with tolerances) in one box and the units in the other one. 

2) Can I create "Fill in the Blank" or "Fill In multiple Blanks" questions that take numerical inputs with tolerances? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adventurer III

Hello Abrar,

You can have Numerical Answer questions that can error margins that can be separate for each answer.  You can also have Fill in Multiple Blanks questions that have text for answers.  But you cannot have one question type that has both, unfortunately.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer III

Hello Abrar,

You can have Numerical Answer questions that can error margins that can be separate for each answer.  You can also have Fill in Multiple Blanks questions that have text for answers.  But you cannot have one question type that has both, unfortunately.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

I have the same issue. My work around has been to add multiple solution types for answers that may be fractional.This is quite frustrating as there should be the ability for the system to test for numerical equivalencies. Since numeric questions can be created, the system is obviously available. It seems it would be a simple toggle to allow the matching to be based on numerical values as opposed to just string matching. 

As I am creating math quizzes, this happens for me a lot. For example, a simple question could be:

340048_Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 10.13.15 AM.png

The student should be allowed to submit their answer for z as both 41/2 as well as 20.5 or even 2.50. My work around, as can be seen above, is to try and imagine the various forms a student may submit their answer; however, students are incredibly creative and often submit correct answers that are in a form variant from any of which I had thought.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

In questions where students must enter something, the only types that work are the "Numerical Answer" and "Formula question", which allows ranges or margins. Everything else (Fill-in Blank, Multiple fill-in blank) is basically useless. It a question with multiple numerical answers (for example: what are the roots of a quadratic equation?), the use of "Fill in multiple blanks" is a disaster. We must either enforce a particular format (number of digital places, number of significant figures), which in most cases are stressful for students, or we must put all possible formats that anyone can conceive.

Imagine a question which answer is the square root of two: How to handle that? I need to put, as correct answers...

AND

+1.4

+1.41

+1.414

+1.4142

+1.41421

+1.41423

+1.41424

+1.414235

+1.4142356

AND

And, in the end, if somebody put 1.41423562 or 1.41423562..., He or she will get an incorrect answer.

This not considering the fact that in an international environment, where the decimal point can be a coma one should add

1,41421.... and on and on.

And what about a question with answer equal to  33 x 77? 

The correct answers are

2541 or

2,541 or

2.541 or

2 541 or ...

All these are correct answers somewhere in the world.

And when is Christmas?

December 25

25 of December

Dec 25

Dec-25

Dec 25th

Dec. 25th

12/25

25/12

12-25

25-12

What is the modulus of elasticity of steel (in psi)?

30E6

3E7

30x10⁶

3X10⁷

3 x 10^7

30.0 10^6 

30.0e6.0   ...

As they are currently, Fill in the Blanks and Fill in Multiple Blanks are absolutely useless.

My suggestion is: For Fill in the Blank, and Fill in Multiple Blanks, allow the choice of type of answers:

- For numerical, allow ranges and margins and some IA to recognize the separates, and scientific and engineering formats

- For text, allow multiple blanks between words, not capital sensitive, allow  (or not) variations ("John's ball", "The ball that belongs to John", "John's     ball", JOhn's Ball (yes, sometimes it happens)...)

Highlighted
Adventurer III

Hey Jorge,

This was a great answer you gave! Thanks for being so helpful to your fellow community members, especially in these difficult times. Please check your direct messages for a small token of our appreciation. Smiley Happy 

Thanks again for all that you do and keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Canvas Community Team

0 Kudos
Labels