cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sp6
Community Member

Fill-in-the-Blank Quizzes for Non-English Languages

It seems Canvas is not able to create fill-in-the-Blank quizzes in any language other than English. Spanish, French, or German symbols or non-Latin scripts such as Arabic do not work in Fill-in-the-Blank. Is there any fix for that?

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@sp6 , I'm sorry to see that your question has been sitting out here for so long without a response--but it appears that you have the Community stumped! I suspect that, because fill-in-the-blank question types do not currently afford rich content creation, the language and symbol choices are therefore limited, as you've observed. However, Deactivated user​ in his comment on " modifiedtitle="true" title="Allow Rich Content editing for the fill in the blank. (still open for voting) noted that this functionality might well be incorporated into the large Modern Quizzing Engine project, so I suggest that you add your feedback about language support to the comments sections of those two feature ideas.

kumahata
Community Member

Hi - I haven't had problem. Diacritical marks are coming out OK as you see in the screenshot. Did you experiment with different browsers? I'm on Mac and Chrome and Firefox are working for me.

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 8.21.08 AM.png

However in rich text editor, it converts all diacritical marks to html code. I wish it will support pure unicode. It's possible that these matters are related. Lastly, rtl features are not fully integrated for language teaching in Canvas yet - as you can see in the screenshot.

cwendt
Community Member

@sp6 ​, they work for Spanish and Portuguese, for sure! I do believe that our Chinese teacher uses them. As soon as she answers, I'll edit this response.

What is happening when you try to input the answers in another language? It should work as it does in any other software for you.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @sp6 ​...

We haven't heard from you since your initial posting here on February 17th.  Has any of the above replies helped answer your question?  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  This won't prevent you or anyone else from posting additional comments to this topic, however.  I hope this is okay with you.