cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lindalee
Adventurer II

Filter by Assignment Group, with unexpected persistence

I've enabled the new gradebook in an online summer class that is just ending. As is often the case in online courses, there are many, many assignments, which can make the gradebook unwieldy to navigate under the best of circumstances. I'm finding the ability to filter by assignment group to a really big help as I work through grading final assignments and wrapping up the semester!

However, the persistence of the views was initially a bit disconcerting. When returning to the filter of a particular assignment group, I expected the view to default to the left-most column. Instead, it returned to the last place I had been working. I can see how this persistence might be preferable within a specific session -- but I found unexpected to return to the last place I had worked in a previous session.

(If this were a large-enrollment course where I continued working on the same assignment across multiple sessions, I can see how it would be useful.)

Tags (1)
4 Replies
rake_9
Explorer II

Can you clarify a bit?  I think you are saying:

• You set a filter and were working in the gradebook. 
  • You set a different filter and did some work.
  • You went back to the original filter, and found that the "focus" on the page was where you had been?

Valerie

Hi  @rake_9 ‌,

Yes -- that's exactly what I was trying to say:

• I set a filter in the gradebook (view by Assignment Groups, and then selected a specific assignment group)
  • I was working within a specific column in the gradebook in that assignment group.
  • I set a different filter (first a different assignment group within the same filter, and then later a different filter)
  • In a later session I returned to the first assignment group, and found that the "focus" was in the same part of the gradebook (the last grade column) where I had been working, rather than at the left-most/first column in that filter, which is what I had expected.

-Linda

I, too, would find that disconcerting.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Valerie,

You may be experiencing what our product team has realized to be non-intuitive filtering. Once you set a filter, that filter is set, even if you remove the filter later. So the Gradebook may be returning to the first filter because it is already applied. If this behavior sounds correct, our product team is planning to make some changes that will make the expectation of clearing filters a reality!

Will you try grading again, and then before you disable the Filter by Assignment Group filter, make sure the Assignment Group menu is set to All Assignment Groups. (And then if you try another filter, make sure to put it back to the All [filter] option.) See if that helps resolve what you were experiencing?

Thanks,

Erin