cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Final Grade Display

Jump to solution

Hello. How do I create a final grade column visible to students? I added the "final grade override" column with their final grades but the students have informed me that they cannot see it. Thank you. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Nicole, what we do is create an assignment group called Final Letter Grade, and then an assignment in that group called Final Grade. The assignment is no submission, worth 0 points, and does not count towards the final grade. It's a letter grade. Then the instructor manually figures out the letter grades and types it in there. We had to do it this way because our courses combine several different schools with different grading schemes, so each student's grade has to be calculated manually.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi njacoberger@camdencc.edu - You cannot, really.  All the final grade override will do from the student's perspective is change the total percentage that they see as well as the corresponding letter grade, if you enabled a grading scale.  The students do not actually see anything called "Final Grade," exactly.  You can find out more about this feature here:  How do I override a student's final grade in the New Gradebook?  Note that it states "Students can view the overridden grade in their Grades page. However, students will not know the score has been overridden."  So it really just takes what Canvas already gives them, but substitutes the total grade shown with your override. 

There is a very recent Feature Idea that kind of addresses what you might want, assuming you wanted some actual grade to say "final grade" in the student's view here:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15584-final-grade-column-visibility .

Hope this helps a bit, Nicole.

Highlighted
Explorer

Nicole, what we do is create an assignment group called Final Letter Grade, and then an assignment in that group called Final Grade. The assignment is no submission, worth 0 points, and does not count towards the final grade. It's a letter grade. Then the instructor manually figures out the letter grades and types it in there. We had to do it this way because our courses combine several different schools with different grading schemes, so each student's grade has to be calculated manually.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Great idea, this worked well. 

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels