cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sima_tarokh
Explorer II

Finding Cross-Listed Course Section

When I visit a course (or section), which had been cross-listed with another course (or section), I am not able to find which course this section had been cross-listed with!! (Please see attached screenshot) Is there any way to find out which course the second course had been combined with?

Thank you!

Sima

313315_Cross-List.JPG

cross-listing sections‌cross-listing courses

8 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sima_tarokh .  Do you know how the course you sent a screenshot from was cross-listed?  Is it possible this was done outside of Canvas, such as through the Registrar's Office?  I will admit that I don't have a great deal of experience with cross-listing courses beyond what is described in this document, How do I cross-list a section in a course as an admin?, but looking at some of our courses that have been cross-listed, the information on which sections were combined is show as below.  I don't see this type of information in the image you posted.

313373_pastedImage_1.png

Thanks!

Thank you so much for the info Eric!

Actually I had cross-listed that course manually and so many other courses. However, this time I've cross listed 4 courses and since I had to make a change to one of them, I tried to view the original one and I was not able to find it. For example, as you can see on bellow screenshots, I have cross-listed "CO213-01 47687" course with "CO213-01A 49154" course and if I forget which course I've cross-listed the second one with, I cannot find any information in "CO213-01A 49154" course. Hope this make sense! I wish Canvas would add this feature to "Course Sections" page.

313425_pastedImage_4.png      

313408_pastedImage_2.png

Hi  @sima_tarokh .  I think I understand but if not please let me know.  Things do get a little complicated with all of the section numbers!  It sounds like you want to know which is the parent class shell.  As I mentioned before, my experience with this is a little limited as I haven't received many questions about cross-listed courses from our faculty.  However, what I have noticed is that on the sections tab, if I click on the link to a section it will show me the active enrollments in that section, but I am still in the parent course.  At least in the example I am looking at here, the daughter sections show no individuals in the People's tab and no sections when in Settings and on the sections tab.  I am not sure if you are an admin, but from my admin panel I can see the courses like this:

313430_pastedImage_5.png

The parent course here appears to be the one that is published and included all of the students.  The daughter courses all show zero enrollments.

I'm not sure if any of this is helpful but hopefully it is!  Canvas Support may be able to help out as well by looking a bit deeper into the course settings as well.

Oops.  I forgot to mention that there are a number of ideas out there for improvements to cross-listed courses that would make locating them easier.  You might be interested in voting up some of these!

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10986-add-crosslisted-information-to-new-course-search 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14091-intuitive-cross-listing-tool 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10290-indicate-cross-listed-courses-in-admin-reports 

Great! I voted for the links. This is what exactly I am looking for. I am the Canvas admin and when I search for a course there is not enough information about the cross-listed courses.

Referring to your screenshot, if you type "Principles of Biology I (B1) (FA2018)" in search, you will find an empty course shell with "0" people, and if you  click on Sections tab, you will not find any information if this is a "child of" cross-listed course or if this is just an empty course shell. 

Again thank you for the links and the info. Hope you have a great rest of the week!

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sima_tarokh .  I am going back to questions that are not marked as correct or assumed answered to see if follow-up is needed.  It appears as though there hasn't been a post to this thread for a while so I am going to mark this as "assumed answered".  This doesn't prevent future posting to the thread and the status can be changed later if appropriate.  

All the best!

ortizi
Surveyor II

Hi.

I found this thread (thank you @sima_tarokh ) while searching for a way to find a list of cross-listed sections.  It led me to the ideas posted by @ericwerth and I was able to find a way to get a list of all cross-listings at my institution (where I'm a Canvas admin).  I used the "SIS Export" report and, under "Configure...", I chose "X list CSV".

I'm posting this here in the hope this might help someone else.

Great! Thank you so much for the info @ortizi ..