cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_F
Adventurer II

Flash support for Webcam recording

Jump to solution

I am curious if an HTML5 based webcam recorder is on the horizon for Canvas?

Note the pending development here:   Use webcam to record video - YouTube Help

Thanks, Jeff

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_F
Adventurer II

Yippie!!   This is being addressed with the coming update.   More info in the release notes:  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15588-canvas-release-notes-2018-10-27#jive_content_id_Rich_...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
clong
Learner II

Hi Jeff, I was wondering the same thing the other day. I've looked all over the Canvas Studio  and don't see any mention of it , so If I had to guess I don't think this is something eminent but I will reach out to a few contacts at Instructure and see if we can get a more definitive answer.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @Jeff_F ​

I just heard back from our product team.  We can share that this is something we are looking into, but there has been no formal decision.  Thank you for the question, and apologies that I do not have a better answer for you.

This is exactly what I hoped to learn: the team is aware of the pending need.  My gratitude!

PSU_Tony
Learner II

I do a lot of video discussions in the courses I teach and the flash issue is a real pain for students. Even more troubling is when they go to support for help, the chat agent always seems to try and steer them to just uploading a link in the discussion board, which is not they way I designed the course and is a total pain for the students to have to download everyone's files, watch them, and then record their own and then upload the link, etc. The media tool in the RCE is one of the BEST things about Canvas as a product. It is also one of the main reasons, the BYU Hawaii, Instructure's first or almost first customers went with Canvas back in the beginning. It is time for Instructure to update this part with an HTML 5 solution.

Agree --- this was three years ago! It's become a daily problem for our students and teachers trying to use the built-in media recording tool. We need an HTML5 solution.

To reduce browser Flash related issues I would consider using Loom and teaching the students how to use the embed code.   

Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software 

Jeff_F
Adventurer II

Yippie!!   This is being addressed with the coming update.   More info in the release notes:  

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15588-canvas-release-notes-2018-10-27#jive_content_id_Rich_...

View solution in original post