Font Size in Equation Editor

Jump to solution
CaseyOwen
Community Member

Is there any way to change the font size of the equation editor?  When I drag the equation to make it bigger, it shows up bigger on my screen, but is still small when students go to take a quiz.  It makes it very hard for students to read exponents.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
JeffCampbell
Community Contributor

EDIT: An Idea Conversation has been created about adding Font and Color controls to the Equation Editor. Help support the idea by giving it stars and comment if it will help you.

I had gotten stuck on that before too and thought I had worked it out, then noticed today that it was back to the small size again. I came on to look and saw your question.

Doing some digging, I found a solution. The equation editor uses LaTeX to create the equation. There are some ways to make the font larger using some basic code. This can be done DIRECTLY inside the editor. It is knowing the codes that is the issue, and the Equation Editor does not provide options to edit the font.

I found a website that makes this much easier. Create your equation first. Then go into the Equation Editor and click on the option that says Advanced View in the upper right. Copy the equation (EDIT: you could skip this part and create the equation in the other site, linked below). Let's say I have this:

a\frac{b}{c}

I want to make this larger so it is more easily visible. Go to the Latex Equation Editor. On the tabbed sections at the bottom of the page, select Font. Select the size you want to use. Note that it will add extra text to help you see how big the size will be. So if you select Huge, it will add \Huge Huge. The second "Huge" is the preview text, so erase it. Do not erase the space after \Huge. Then paste in your equation. Copy the ENTIRE line, then paste it into Canvas's Equation Editor. My updated equation looks like this:

\Huge a\frac{b}{c}

Here is a preview of the difference for my example:

Equation Size Difference.PNG

As an added note, if you explore that other site, it also has various scripts and the ability to generate the colors you want too. Just remember that everything will give you some preview text. The position of the preview text is where your equation/equation parts go. The nice thing is that the site lets you see a preview so you can play with it a bit to get the look just right before copying into Canvas's Equation Editor.

View solution in original post