Community Member

Font

How do I change the font type on quizzes

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi mverma@midwestern.edu

Other than font size, italics and bolding, you cannot change a font type anywhere in Canvas. At least not through the RCE. You can do so using the HTML Editor, but most faculty don't like to play there.

This was a purposeful decision by Canvas to support accessibility.

Kelley

Highlighted

As far accessibility goes another option that many students with reading disabilities find easier to read is comic sans.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

mverma@midwestern.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hello Everyone!

Whoever that is reading this forum in hopes of finding a way to change your font in the Canvas Discussion board will find the answer here. All you need to do is click the HTML editor option on the right corner of your response box, which should be in blue letters, and input the following code.

<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: x-large;">Your Text Here</span>

The code shown above should allow you to switch the Arial or standard font Canvas uses to whichever you wish to input and use. So that code example I used is for Times New Roman, which you will switch out the name for another font you wish to use. To find out how to input this code you will need to identify all the coded lines that look similar to this one and input only the "font-family: '(your choice of font name here)'; into the front of the coded line already in your HTML. So, for example, my HTML was originally 

<span style="font-size: x-large;">Hello Classmates,</span>

I would identify this line as the one needed to input font-family code to apply the font change, which will look like this.

<span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: x-large;">Hello Classmates,</span>

Make sure you input this wherever you see it fits the examples I provided above. To check if you applied it correctly you would need to click the Rich Editor option where the HTML was previously. That will apply the new code you inputted and change your font type. Hope this thorough explanation was of some help to what you were looking for!

Good Luck,

Tina

Highlighted

Ahoy all,

It makes sense to have this done for accessibility. That said, it's exactly why I don't apply manual formatting, which mucks the code and requires painstaking attention. I'm making templates, as you'll see.

I'm having a rough time with the paragraph style default because, though it's nicely clean, it's tiny, IMO. [screenshot included] Web accessibility font size names a minimum of 14pt, but the default is a 12. I know that Canvas is open source to a point. I'm trying to find information about a way to change the default settings of a style like "paragraph" perhaps to mirror the size of the text in the navigation menus. I'd also love to add more styles for screen readers, such as a "quote" style. I don't think these are linked to the account level theme-options, but I do know it would be an administrative account-level change. Help is appreciated.Default style in Canvas

Fair winds!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I would like to say that it would be very helpful to add the feature to change the font face. This is not a request that is super advanced, and it seems would be rather simple to code into the RCE. Wordpress has this function available, just sayin'.
My institution teaches Greek and Hebrew, and the unicode for both are much easier to read in Times New Roman than they are in the default font face. Currently, I am copying and pasting the <span> code to the professors to past in the html editor. I would rather not have to go through that hurdle as it can cause major problems to have them digging around in html.

Highlighted

I feel your pain. I am trying to implement Coptic, Greek, and Ancient Egyptian transliteration. The Coptic is missing characters in the Canvas default font, the Greek is illegible due to a lack of serifs, and the transliteration is also missing characters. If I could simply change a CSS style to an appropriate webfont, this would be solved, and if CSS is out of the question, a simple font change. Instead, I've had to go back to distributing everything by PDF and/or paper. 

And I agree, "san-serif" Hebrew is the worst for legibility.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Since the New Quizzes text boxes don't give me an option to access HTML, I haven't found a way to change the font type in the New Quizzes. 

Most of the time, that isn't a problem, but every now and then I do run into an issue that could be resolved by changing the font. For example, I'm writing an exam right now that involves questions about a protein called lacI. In this editor, I can change the font family just for the end of the protein's name to put serifs on the capital "i" so it's clear. In New Quizzes, however, I don't have that option, so instead it looks like lacI. Is that a lower case L at the end? Is it an upper case i at the beginning? It's a little bit of confusion that could be avoided if I could use a serif font for just one letter.

Highlighted

This a common problem for chemistry. Students get frustrated because they can't see why their fill-in-the-blank answer is wrong when they have typed a capital i instead of a lowercase L in the symbol for chlorine or a roman numeral.

Labels