cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sfisher3
Community Member

For a test with multiple choice questions can students check answer and if incorrect make another choice.

Jump to solution

After a student picks a response, A, the response is submitted and the system notes if the choice of A is correct or incorrect. If incorrect the student can make another choice D and submit to see if D is correct. If incorrect the student can make  another choice. For every incorrect choice there is a penalty. Is that possible in Canvas?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dod17005
Surveyor

Hello Sam,

There are different options for allowing students to see their responses and what the correct answers were.  It's pretty much as simple as checking each of those respective boxes in the quiz options.  See this article for more details: What options can I set in a quiz?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dod17005
Surveyor

Hello Sam,

There are different options for allowing students to see their responses and what the correct answers were.  It's pretty much as simple as checking each of those respective boxes in the quiz options.  See this article for more details: What options can I set in a quiz?

View solution in original post

Aaron-

Thanks for the reply. I did read that section, again (I read it before posting), and the options do not allow what I’d like to do. If you are familiar with Moodle it is called an adaptive question with penalties. It allows students to check their answer while taking the quiz (before completing the quiz) and if the choice is incorrect the student can make a second choice. If there are four options that means they have three shots at getting the correct answer—full credit for selecting the correct answer on the first try, a penalty (partial credit) if correct on second try, additional penalty if correct on the third try, and no credit if incorrect on third try.

Oh, I misunderstood what you were asking.  Unfortunately Canvas doesn't have that functionality.  It may be worth a try to look at other tools with Canvas integrations.  Mobius, for example, does allow students to check their answer before submitting a quiz, although I don't know if they include the penalty functionality you're looking for.

@sfisher3 ‌, have you found any workarounds in Canvas for a Moodle-like adaptive mode question? Or any other tools that have that functionality and can be integrated into Canvas?