cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

For "Media Comments," how do I minimize media interface?

I'm so close to processing dozens of grades in a more efficient way by attempting to use "Media Comments" to accompany grades.  I've been delaying my use of this because of hardware (on my end), but resolved that and I'm ready to go.  However, the media interface that appears when I'm recording audio cannot be minimized in Canvas.

Really?  Do I have that right?  I can move the "Record/Upload Media Comment" interface box within the Canvas window only, but I am unable to minimize it.  This is pretty inefficient - and seems like a fairly basic 21st Century technology function - as what remains for my review of student-submitted assignments is a darker, grayscale display that I need to continue moving the "Record/Upload Media Comment" box in order to see the student submission.  While I thought it may have been browser-related, no dice....Chrome, IE, Firefox....same issue....it's Canvas.

Thanks for letting me know if I'm missing something.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Surveyor II

To further clarify my frustration with this, isn't it commonsense that, in order for this function to be most efficient, I should have clear access to the student's submitted document while I'm recording comments about it?  I suppose I could try and open another tab, but, again, that would add a few unnecessary and inefficient steps.  A workaround, yes, but I'm looking for something that's more intuitive and straightforward.  Thanks!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, mcmaguire@wisc.edu...

I am reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I am sorry to see that your question has been sitting here unanswered since July 12, 2019.  While I'm not sure that I have a solution for you, I did want to check in with you.  Have you been able to find any solutions on your own since you first posted your question back in July that you'd be willing to share back here in this topic?  Or, are you still looking for some help from Community members with your question?  Either way, it would be great to hear from you again.

I'm not exactly sure if this would be a solution or not, but have you tried changing the resolution of the computer monitor that you are using (maybe it's already set at the recommended setting)?  Or, have you tried using the zoom options within your web browser to see if your view of media comments changes in any way?  Those are just a couple ideas I had...which I've not tested myself.

My other question...have you searched the Community to see if a related Feature Idea might exist?  Then, you could vote on it and add your feedback.  Or, if you didn't find one, you could certainly create your own Feature Idea.  Maybe there are others here in the Community that are experiencing the same kind of issue.  You never know.

For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because we've necessarily found a solution for you...but more because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for five months.  People will still be able to post questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Michael.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

I have the same problem, so no it's not answered.  Like Michael, I just started to record media comments on Speed Grader but the record window is 1) in the way of the student submission and 2) I can't even operate the student submission to scroll up or down.  Doesn't seem like the sort of thing I should have to waste my time finding a work around for--I believe that's what my school is paying Canvas to do.   Why would one design a feature so that it gets in the way of the very reason for its existence--to comment on a student submission? 

Surveyor

Also, I find that after recording one comment, the button won't activate for the next student and i can't record another comment unless I turn off Canvas completely and start from scratch.  So Media Comment is a fail.  I should have had my student submit their prospectuses to Turnitin, whose voice comment function works. 

Community Member

This is still a major issue and makes any specific feedback on student work almost impossible.  I'm surprised this has not been a bigger issue with other users.