Formula Questions - complicated random numbers

Jump to solution
ronlembke
Community Explorer

The formula question example shows how to ask students ridiculously easy questions like "What is [x] + 5?"

Or "Calculate the weight of [x] blue whales."

For those of us who don't teach elementary school, this is not useful.

I want give my students a random number between, say 100,000 and 250,000. And I do NOT want a random number of 197,476. I want to generate [x] between 1 and 10, with 1 decimal place, and then multiply that times 15,000, and add the product to 100,000, to get numbers like 241,500, not 197,476.

Why on earth am I not allowed to do something like the following.

Annual sales are [x*15000+100000]?

2 Solutions
ronlembke
Community Explorer

James –

Thanks for sharing your blog post. It’s a heavy lift, but it’s nice to know that it can be done.

What I ended up doing is creating 5 versions of each problem to be randomly assigned.

And thanks for that tip about generating multiples of 100 by padding the random number with 0’s. I did not know that was possible. I had tried to play around with different attempts like that, but I was just shooting the dark and didn’t have the syntax right.

That tip alone is going to be useful in writing homework problems.

Thanks!

Ron

View solution in original post

yyuen
Community Novice

I have just made a chrome extension that does exactly what you need and then some. You can get it here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/canvas-quiz%20/jbpanaoeongimfdcfbnhfaagblakgpca?hl=en&auth...

Turn on "Extended" and add these to your formulas:

• x = range(1, 10, 0.1)
  • a = x*150000 + 100000
  • ... continue with whatever formula you need
  • last formula is the answer

The extension page has my email. Email me if you have any questions!

View solution in original post