Highlighted
Community Member

Fractional Quiz Answer

Quiz Answer

I'm trying to create a quiz question that requires a fractional answer.  I can't seem to enter the answer as a fraction, any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

awilliamson@sussex.edu , what type of question are you trying to make the fraction an answer to?  (MC, fill in the blank?)  This makes a difference.  In MC questions, and multiple answers are the only question types I could find where the Equation Editor could be accessed.  The other questions do not allow that; you might need to write your fraction with a slant (2/3).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

You can't use the numeric type -- it would have to be a fill in the blank type and students would use the slash key to indicate the fraction bar.

Highlighted
Community Member

This is the same work around that I have developed.

My frustration is that the grading system is using string matching to identify correct answers. There should be the ability for the system to test for numerical equivalencies. Since numeric questions can be created, the system is obviously available. It seems it would be a simple toggle to allow the matching to be based on numerical values as opposed to just string matching. 

As I am creating math quizzes, this happens for me a lot. For example, a simple question could be:

340047_Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 10.13.15 AM.png

The student should be allowed to submit their answer for z as both 41/2 as well as 20.5 or even 2.50. My work around, as can be seen above, is to try and imagine the various forms a student may submit their answer; however, students are incredibly creative and often submit correct answers that are in a form variant from any of which I had thought.

0 Kudos