cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael-espey
Learner II

Free Form Comments on Rubrics

I am struggling to find a solid answer on the topic and I would like to have an informed response when I am asked about Free Form Comments when employing a Rubric in SpeedGrader.

We had a faculty member that had been importing and reusing comments from year to year on a midterm paper, well long story short the rubric was removed then when it was added back to the assignment the comments were gone. I am curious what the intended functionality for these comment banks is supposed to be. Also are they tied to the Rubric object or the Assignment?

I was under the impression that they were tied to the Rubric and that is why, year to year, they were moving to the current course. When we removed it and it never came back I started to second guess myself and now it seems that they are actually in the Assignment and they were being moved from year to year in error with that not being intentional.

As a note, the rubric was removed on 10/5 (right before the rubric free form comment bug was introduced) so I thought it was tied to the bug, but when they didn't come back after the fix was rolled out I landed on that it had to have just been a coincidence.

I tried to search around for other topics of the sort and couldn't find much of anything that is related and the docs don't mention anything about imported assignments/rubrics from what I read.

Any insight from anyone more experienced with Canvas could provide would be amazing.

Thank you,

Michael

2 Replies
rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Michael,

Full disclosure; I don't use the free form comment option within Rubrics.  But my assumption has always been that they would only be saved for the single assignment they were being used on.  It surprises me a little that they would copy from course to course.  

Based on your observations I'm guessing they are somehow stored and associated with both the assignment and the rubric, and by removing the rubric it broke the connection and thus they are gone.  

I am just guessing though.

Rick

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @michael-espey ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on October 18, 2018.  It looks like  @rmurchshafer  replied to you a day later.  Have you had an opportunity to review Rick's feedback?  If so, has it helped to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help from members of the Community?  If you feel that Rick's feedback has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please come back to this topic to post a message below letting us know how we might be able to help you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you for more than five months and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for about the same amount of time.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Michael.