cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Freehand drawing or draw tool for quizzes and assignments

I'm looking for a app or plug in that will allow students to draw graphs and graph lines (freehand) on assignments and quizzes.  I teach a marketing class, but I would think this would be useful for economics and math teachers as well.  As an example, I'm wishing for student to draw the Product Life Cycle curve... ideally, I would like to be able to have blank template graph and then the student needs to draw the final Sales and Profit curves.

The "template/blank" Product Life Cycle for the question would look like this:

Ch11 - Product Life Cycle Blank.png

And I would like the students to draw and annotate the Sales and Profit lines on the graph:

Ch11 - Product Life Cycle Answer.png

I'm not sure what freehand drawing apps are there, and if you can even have a "blank template" as part of the answer, but I haven't been able to find anything like this in any of the discussion boards.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how other folks have worked around this issue.

Jerry

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

glenaz@tulane.edu​, the Canvas mobile app now allows students to annotate PDF assignments as part of their assignment submission. Please refer to How do I submit a PDF assignment with annotations in the Canvas app on my iOS device? and How do I submit a PDF assignment with annotations in the Canvas app on my Android device?  If you've already reviewed this feature, please elaborate on why it doesn't meet your needs for this assignment. (As far as I know, it isn't currently available for quizzes.)

Highlighted

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for the quick response.  I was not aware of this feature and this might be a good solution.  However, I am trying it out now on my computer (going thru the Student View), but I can't see to get it to work.  Does this solution only work on a phone or tablet and not on the native webservices?  Unfortunately, I cannot restrict the platform on which my students submit their work.

Or am I missing a plug-in, app or setting that will allow the annotation of PDF for assignments?  Ideally, this would work for quizzes as well, but I'll take what I can get at this point.

Thanks again for the response.

Jerry

Highlighted

Yes, glenaz@tulane.edu​, at the moment, the annotation capability is limited to mobile devices and the Canvas app; it won't work in Student View on your computer. Others might have discovered browser extensions or plug-ins that will allow students to do something similar on their desktop or laptop machines, and I hope if they have they will contribute.

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

glenaz@tulane.edu​, thus far we haven't had any additional participation, and I've marked the question as Assumed Answered. Even so, the discussion remains open for anyone who wishes to contribute their ideas.

Highlighted
Community Member

I have this same question for several Finance and Econ professors that require students to draw graphs showing indifference curves and net present values.  Currently, they attempt to use a stylus to draw or MS Word tools to create the graph and then copy and paste the entire answer into an Essay Question answer box; but this doesn't always work appropriately.  Some professors no longer allow file upload submissions because of the extra tedious work that involves downloading files for each question in a 20-question quiz. 

Is it possible that Canvas would allow students to "freehand" draw with their mouse in the answer text box? In some situations, they would need to color-code the curves and label the axes in every question.  In our third iteration of this course, we still don't have a great solution- especially during timed quizzes.

Highlighted

Quick addition: I have students utilizing either SurfacePros or the Dell Latitude Ultrabooks that work like a tablet 2-in-1 and allow for annotating with a stylus.  I find these touchscreen devices are becoming more prevalent vs. tablet or regular laptop only usage.  This feature would be a fantastic edition to students who do utilize the stylus already for OneNote and graph-drawing.

Highlighted
Community Member

I would also like to have this feature available.  I worry about requiring the use of a phone app.  Have you submitted this as an idea?  

Highlighted
Surveyor

I'm in the same boat: because I teach Microeconomics, most of my FRQs require students to draw graphs. Having this ability as a direct feature in Canvas would be extremely helpful...otherwise, I will have to stick to paper and pen, which kind of defeats the purpose of this LMS...or at least limits its functionality.

Highlighted
Community Member

As our campus dives into pushing OER heavily, we've found this issue is gaining more attention, but our faculty are now seeking and relying on third party resources from text publisher and corporate partners within their regular courses.  We allow our faculty to make their own choices and selections when using these resources, but are trying to find options with less of a cost, and that also have LTI integration (our LTI process take about 6 months for approval).  The biggest hurdle is annotating formulas and drawing and manipulating graphs- especially within quizzes and homework with one graph or problem and several questions attached to it.  I'm trying to convince more faculty to utilize the mobile annotating features, but without luck. Might there be an future updates that Canvas could support it?  I'm hesitant to suggest that faculty keep seeking out third party tools. Thanks!  

P.s. Does anyone have favorite resources they could share? I've recently learned about ExpertTA and are also looking at Varafy.