Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dchilders
Surveyor

Gameification: Displaying / Extrapolating GradeBook Data

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have successfully gamefied my World Lit class and have Main quests, Side Quests, Item Shops, Achievements, Leaderboards (thanks Badgr for making this easy) etc.

I have a non-graded category called "Hero Points."  These are the points they are awarded for doing optional side quest/assignments.  Students use these points to buy items from the shop (Another non-graded category called "Debt" (such as bonus points, class room priveledges, etc.).  Every time they come to me to buy an item, I simply add the cost of that item to the "Shop Keeper's Debt "assignment" from the category "Debt." 

Here's my issue: I don't have an easy way to display/let students constantly know how many "Hero points"  they have to spend.  If they go to the Grades page, and scroll all the way down, they can see their total Hero points (point accumulation) and if they subtract that from their Debt they'll know how much they currently have to spend, but I don't have an EASY way to display, let them know this information at the blink of an eye.  I feel this would serve as a much larger incentive to do side quests if they could constantly see their spending money go up.  Basically I just want a simple way to extrapolate and display the information from the Grades category. 

I have seen videos of instructor mock ups where they display information from the grade page as some kind of widget on other parts of Canvas (I'm assuming they use HTML to do this).  I'm looking for something similar and I'm willing to learn to do some minor coding to accomplish it if it's within my league.  Barring that even a simple way to make a grade that would be the result of one grade total category minus the other and somehow link to that, that would work as well. 

Ideally I'd like to have them be able to click on something (a flashy image I mock up) and have it show them their current points they have to spend (Hero Points - Debt).  But I don't know how to get to this grade data inside Canvas or display it. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank yo Stepanie.  

To make my question shorter, perhaps I should just say this:

I just want to know how to pull data from the gradebook and display it on other pages for students.  The data I'll be pulling is Hero Points, which is worth 0% of students' grade, so no concerns about FERPA or revealing personal info.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @dchilders , I don't have an immediate answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I've shared your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/gamification?sr=search&searchId=460329bc-514a-4865-8c79-234f2...‌ group. You won't need to join the group to see their answers appear here, but if you'd like to join the group so you can participate in group discussions, you can easily do so by clicking on the link to the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown you'll see at the upper right of the group home page.

Thank yo Stepanie.  

To make my question shorter, perhaps I should just say this:

I just want to know how to pull data from the gradebook and display it on other pages for students.  The data I'll be pulling is Hero Points, which is worth 0% of students' grade, so no concerns about FERPA or revealing personal info.  

View solution in original post

hickmat4
Community Member

Thanks for this, I would like to see more of it. I always wanted to make a game that explains important things, more for adult learners, one that exploits our need to venture further into a deeper understanding of it. This looks like this might do the trick! You might add some achievements along the way, like wow you just learned math without fear of failing!Knowledge is powah (power)!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @dchilders ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  While I don't necessarily have an answer for you, I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since April 14, 2018.  It appears that you *may* have stumped the Community with your question.  Have you been able to come up with any solutions on your own since you first posted this question on February 6, 2018?  If so, would you mind sharing what you've learned back here in this topic?  Or, if you are still looking for some help and feedback from members of the Community, please let us know that as well by posting a message below.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because we've necessarily found a solution for you, but more because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over four months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Danny.  Finally, I know that you have a pretty incredible document that you posted a while back called MY GAMEIFIED CLASS: A STEP BY STEP GUIDE, and so I don't know if you've covered some of the above in your Guide or not, but I'm posting the link here as a reference for anyone that is interested in reading through your documentation.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon, Danny!