cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Generating an ePub file loses images and hyperlinks?

The ePub functionality seems to have changed.

In January I was able to generate an ePub file that contained content pages, images, and hyperlinks, but today when I tried to generate an ePub file, it contained content headers, but no content.

Has this feature gone away? It was so useful.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, agarrard@wwnorton.com...

I don't necessarily have an answer for you, but I did review this Guide, How do I view course content offline as an ePub file as an instructor?, and I looked at the revision history (click on the "Version" link at the top right corner of the Guide), and I didn't really see any significant changes to the documentation since the document was first created on April 19, 2017.  One thing you might want to do is post a message to the bottom of that Guide, and then someone from the Documents Team will reach out to you.  Or, have you tried reaching out to tech support at the Canvas Help Desk (via the "Help" icon on the left side of your Canvas environment)?  They may be able to provide some insights, too, on if anything has recently changed (though the Doc Team is very good about keeping the Guides up-to-date).  Whichever route you choose, please report back after you've had a chance to get some additional information from them.  I hope this information is helpful to you, Alice.

Highlighted

Hello once again, agarrard@wwnorton.com...

I wanted to check in with you because we've not heard back from you since you first posted this question on September 7, 2017.  Have you had an opportunity to review the reply I posted later that evening?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  Have you tried any of the suggestions that I mentioned above?  If you could please come back to this posting and give us an update, that would be helpful.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because I've necessarily given you a "Correct" answer (though you could mark it that way if you felt my initial response was "Correct"), but because we've not heard from you in quite some time.  You and others will still be able to post questions/comments related to this topic, however.  I hope that's okay with you, Alice.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Highlighted
Community Member

Same problem here: when I tried to generate an ePub file, it contained content headers, but no content...

Highlighted

PS: when I do "organize export by content type" I *do* get the content of all my Pages in the epub, but then obviously the order is all wrong (I need it organised according to my Modules...)

Highlighted

Turns out, for me it was caused by the symbol '|' in my page titles...

Highlighted
Community Member

I've noticed that some, not all, special characters in page titles cause the content to be stripped out during export. So I'll usually rename those pages, export, then change them back in the course and the epub.