cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
u6032171
Surveyor II

Get messager's official name?

I have received a message from a student.  It lists here name as [some_name].  However, when checking the "People" page on my class, I have no student whose official name is [some_name].  How can I figure out which student is messaging me? (i.e. how do I link the message to someone in my official roster on the "People" page?)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gnoack
Navigator

You should let your Canvas administrators know of the issue.  It sounds like something is incorrect with the student records. And, they should be able to fix it.  

I'm not sure if the fix will update your message, though.  You may have to reply to the message and explain the situation and ask the student to self-identify. 

If student's have the ability to create or edit their profiles, the student may not have filled out all of the profile and account fields, so that should be addressed as well. 

"If student's have the ability to create or edit their profiles, the student may not have filled out all of the profile and account fields, so that should be addressed as well."

They do have this ability.  What do you mean by "filled out all of the profile and account fields"?

I mean that perhaps the student didn't fill out all of the fields such as First Name, Last name, email, etc.  It's a longshot, but if the student has access to their user accounts, they may have not completed the setup, or changed something that is causing the error.