cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Getting Student Email Address

Jump to solution

Can I find the Student Email Address from the People tab?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

ucinetframework2013@gmail.com​, if you are an Instructor than it probably depends on how your Institution has Canvas set-up (what they make visible), but no, in general, Canvas doesn't include student email addresses from the People tab or really anywhere else in your course. You can always message students through the Canvas inbox (no email address required, only their name!), which will automatically get forwarded out to the student's default email address (normally their Institutional one). Or, you should also be able to student email addresses from your student information portal; I know mine show up when I go to print my course roster.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

ucinetframework2013@gmail.com​, if you are an Instructor than it probably depends on how your Institution has Canvas set-up (what they make visible), but no, in general, Canvas doesn't include student email addresses from the People tab or really anywhere else in your course. You can always message students through the Canvas inbox (no email address required, only their name!), which will automatically get forwarded out to the student's default email address (normally their Institutional one). Or, you should also be able to student email addresses from your student information portal; I know mine show up when I go to print my course roster.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

As a teacher, this is pretty terrible by the way. Over my few years of teaching so far, Canvas has made it more difficult to communicate with students.

I agree. In Blackboard, we emailed a student in the LMS and it went to their uni email. Our university policy specifies that students must read their university email, and that email is where official university correspondence will be sent. Students who are disengaged often don't log in to Canvas. It's frustrating that Canvas makes it harder for us to follow up with students who are falling behind in this way!

I agree with others, this is very frustrating.  There needs to be a better method to access student email addresses.