cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Getting rid of numbers at the end of page titles after importing

Jump to solution

I have two sections of the same class, one online and one F2F. I imported my Fall courses into my Spring, but after updating my F2F course for Spring, I realized I made a lot of changes so I thought it would be easier to just import the updated F2F course to my Spring online course (I basically wanted to overwrite the previous import). However, instead of completely overwriting the previous import, it just added the Spring 2018 to the Fall 2017 content.

I went through and deleted the Fall 2017 content, but now Canvas has put numbers at the end of my Page titles. For example, instead of just "Syllabus", it says "Syllabus - 2". I've tried to delete the numbers from the Page titles but Canvas continues to revert to the numbered titles. How can I get rid of those numbers so as to not confuse students? 

Thank you!  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Shannon - When you import content into an existing course, Canvas doesn't overwrite the content that's there, it adds the imported content to what's already there. You cannot have two pages with the same name in a course, so Canvas will append a number to pages with duplicate names. If your course has a page called Intro to Economics, and the course you import has a page by the same name, Canvas will label the imported page Intro to Economics-2.

In order to get rid of the -2 from your page titles, delete the copies of the pages you don't want so that you only have one page with each title. Then you'll be able to delete the -2.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

sahrndt@gmail.com, I tried to duplicate what you're seeing. I was able to get the duplicate pages with the number, but I was able to remove / rename them without the numbers reappearing.

I created a new course, copied the content from a course from last summer (I didn't teach it in the fall). Then I copied the content that I've been updating for this semester.

I got something like this (more on Attendance Policy later)

263704_pastedImage_4.png

The ones without the numbers are there from last summer. The ones with the -2 at the end are from this semester.

I went into the administrative cog on the right of each line. For the old versions (without the number), I chose Delete and deleted the old page. 

263795_pastedImage_5.png

After that had finished, I clicked on the one with the -2 and chose Edit. I edited the name to remove the -2 and then clicked save.

263796_pastedImage_6.png

The "Attendance Policy" you see in the first screen shot is really a renamed "Attendance Policy-2" after deleting the first "Attendance Policy" page.

If this is what you're doing and it's not working, then you might try clearing your browser's cache, closing and restarting the browser, using a different browser (especially if you're using Internet Explorer or Edge), and if you're using Windows then perhaps rebooting the machine (I've seen flaky behavior begin when Windows needs updated, but rebooting a windows machine is a cure for a lot of things).

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi James,

Thank you so much for your help with this. I appreciate you putting in the time and effort to help.

I tried everything you said, including clearing my cache, changing browsers, and rebooting, but none of those hacks worked.

The only thing that finally worked was renaming all of the pages with the -2 or -3s. I had to either change the name of the page completely: "Syllabus-2" to "Course Syllabus" or capitalize the original name if I couldn't think of a good replacement: "Module 1 Overview-2" to "MODULE 1 Overview."

Tedious, but it worked and should be less confusing to my students now.

Shannon Ahrndt

Associate Teaching Professor

Department of Communication & Media

University of Missouri-St. Louis

Lucas Hall 575

Phone: 314-516-6723

ahrndts@umsl.edu

Highlighted

I'm glad you were able to find a work-around, even if it's not ideal. We don't need that extra stress right before a semester starts.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello sahrndt@gmail.com...

I am glad to see that you and james@richland.edu‌ were able to get this resolved.  Normally, we would mark one of the above responses as "Correct", but as I read through your conversation, you both had some valuable feedback, so I'm just going to mark the entire question as "Assumed Answered".  However, if you feel that one of the above replies could be marked as "Correct", it's certainly fine to mark it as such.  In either case, other members of the Canvas Community will still be able to add their own responses (like I have) to this thread.  Thanks Shannon!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Shannon - When you import content into an existing course, Canvas doesn't overwrite the content that's there, it adds the imported content to what's already there. You cannot have two pages with the same name in a course, so Canvas will append a number to pages with duplicate names. If your course has a page called Intro to Economics, and the course you import has a page by the same name, Canvas will label the imported page Intro to Economics-2.

In order to get rid of the -2 from your page titles, delete the copies of the pages you don't want so that you only have one page with each title. Then you'll be able to delete the -2.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi All,

I found a quick work around, without having to actually rename or delete pages. 

The solution:

1) Edit the title

2) Remove the - #

3) Add a single space (or multiple if needed) after your title

What this tells the system is that your title now INCLUDES the extra space you added, thus making it a new (not duplicate) title. It will still look like your original title.