cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
euler
Surveyor

Give a lower weighting to the lowest exam score?

Jump to solution

I give three midterm exams, but I do not want to weight them equally in Grades — I want each students' lowest exam score to contribute 12% to their overall grade and the other two exams to each contribute 24%. Is there a way to do this in Canvas or will I have to do it in a spreadsheet after all grades are done for the semester?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If you're trying to weight the exams individually for each student (so different exams will be weighted differently for different students), then no, this isn't possible in Canvas and you would need to do it in a spreadsheet at the end of the semester.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If you're trying to weight the exams individually for each student (so different exams will be weighted differently for different students), then no, this isn't possible in Canvas and you would need to do it in a spreadsheet at the end of the semester.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @euler ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since February 21st.  Have you had a chance to review the above response from  @kona ‌?  If so, did it help to answer your question?  If you feel Kona's response answered your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still seeking assistance with your initial question please post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Gary!

James
Navigator

@euler ,

This thread was referenced in an August 2018 question Test Weighted Averages. There, the person want the highest of three exams to count 30% of the grade, the middle of three exams to count 20% of the grade, and the lowest of three exams to count 10% of the grade. I listed three ways that could be accomplished, one of them fairly easily by adding an adjustment column to the gradebook and doing a quick calculation for each student.

If I understand yours correctly, you want the highest to be 24% of the grade, the middle to be 24% of the grade, and the lowest to be 12% of the grade. That is, 60% of the grade should be based on these three exams.

If this is the case, then it turns out that you can do what you want inside Canvas without resorting to a spreadsheet or any hand calculations yourself since Canvas will do all of the math for you and save you the effort.

The way to do this is by double entering each exam into the gradebook.

Make an assignment group worth 60% of the grade, create six assignments: Exam 1a, Exam 1b, Exam 2a, Exam 2b, Exam 3a, Exam 3b. Make them all worth the same amount of points.

Then tell Canvas to drop the lowest grade in that category. You might want to wait until after the third exam grade has been entered.

Since you're only dropping the single lowest score, Canvas will only drop one of the two identical lowest grades. That means that the highest and middle grades will be counted twice each, while the lowest exam will only be counted once. That gives you the same 2:2:1 ratio that the 24%:24%:12% has. Since the assignment group is worth 60% of the grade, it will assign the correct percentages to the three exams.

You will need to explain to your students what is going on and why their grades are entered twice. Most of them are okay when they find out things like their lowest grade isn't going to count as much.

That is a great idea! Thank you for the tip.

James, you're amazing and your answers boggle my mind. Keep up the good work.