Global Announcements & Points On Quizzes

Jump to solution
ggillombardo
Community Explorer

Two questions:

1. How do I post an announcement to appear in all of my classes without having to type the same announcement in each class?

2. It is near the end of the term and I need to adjust my grade book as I am over by 10 points. Can I reduce the point value on a quiz once its been graded? Will Canvas make the necessary point adjustment for each student? And going forward, when creating a quiz can I "force" the quiz to be worth a certain number of points and will Canvas allocate the appropriate point value to each question accordingly?

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hi Gina,

I'm sorry but I don't have great answers for you.  With announcements there is no real way to post a single announcement to multiple courses.

For Classic quizzes it's also not really possible to change the point value of the Quiz.  Classic Quizzes take their total points as the sum of all the points for individual questions.  There are re-grading options, but they really are not triggered by changing point values of questions.  New Quizzes does let you set the point value of a Quiz independently of the sum of points on the questions.  So if you are using New Quizzes that might work for you.

My suggestion would be to create a New Assignment to replace the values for the existing quiz.  Set the point value to what you need it to be with your new grading plan and then enter the scaled grades into it.  After you've done this I suggest changing the initial quiz into a Practice quiz.  This will retain it in Canvas for students to refer to, but will remove it from the gradebook which is what you want since you have a new column to hold those grades.

Rick

View solution in original post

0 Likes