cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsasso
Adventurer

Global Nav Icon for Library

Jump to solution

Thanks to all who participated in the discussions on Adding custom menu items and Help With Custom Menu Icons and Script.  It has helped me add an icon to our global navigation menu for our campus libraries.

My question is this - is there an open book icon or library icon that anyone is using that is willing to share? I have seen a few institutions with such icons in their global navigation menu, but I did not bookmark them at the time I saw them.

There really isn't an appropriate icon in the Style Guide.

Many thanks in advance!

Rosie 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am not sure how he sized it, I just asked if he could make something to respresent our online bookstore and sent him a screenshot of the global navigation.When trying to test the integration, I kept getting an error that was asking for

<lticm:property name="icon_url">[INSERT OFFICIAL SVG ICON URL HERE - height should be
approx. 50px]</lticm:property> 

So that was when I determined that it was wanting an icon for the global navigation and asked the publishers for their icon and they didn't have one, which brought about the need to make one. I would have thought that the bookstore company would have one built and branded for Canvas!

He came up with the stack of books, but the first one was just a bit too big, so he "based it on the size of calendar icon" and I don't know what that means, but it is pretty spot on! I can share it with you, I will email it to you. As for the placement, again, I don't know how that happened. It was part of that integration of the online bookstore.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@rsasso ,

I am going to share this posting with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/admins?sr=search&searchId=6bc50939-af5d-4974-948d-db31c6c72df...‌ group.  They may have icons sets or more information for you.

Robbie

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @rsasso ‌...

I thought I would check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since your initial posting on February 23rd and  @Robbie_Grant ‌'s response on February 24th.  It appears that you may have stumped the Canvas Community with your question.  Since your posting, have you been able to come up with a solution on your own?  And, if so, would you be willing to post that solution back here for members of the Community?  Or, are you still looking for help with your initial question.  Either way, if you could please provide an update, that would be helpful.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Rosie!

myerdon01
Adventurer

226997_pastedImage_1.pngThis is what we have put in our global navigation for our online bookstore option, it is just a stack of books that our graphics guy made for me, would this work for you?

Hi Melinda,

Yes, that would work! I was considering asking our graphics team to create an icon as well, but wasn't sure of specific sizes, etc. How did you guide your graphics guy? If you are willing to share that icon I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also, I see on your menu that the stack of books icon is above the Help icon. I'd like to do the same. I can get an icon below the Help icon, but, here again, wasn't sure how to code it in JS to make it appear above. Any advice?

I'm still learning!

Thank you very much for your help on this!

Rosie

I am not sure how he sized it, I just asked if he could make something to respresent our online bookstore and sent him a screenshot of the global navigation.When trying to test the integration, I kept getting an error that was asking for

<lticm:property name="icon_url">[INSERT OFFICIAL SVG ICON URL HERE - height should be
approx. 50px]</lticm:property> 

So that was when I determined that it was wanting an icon for the global navigation and asked the publishers for their icon and they didn't have one, which brought about the need to make one. I would have thought that the bookstore company would have one built and branded for Canvas!

He came up with the stack of books, but the first one was just a bit too big, so he "based it on the size of calendar icon" and I don't know what that means, but it is pretty spot on! I can share it with you, I will email it to you. As for the placement, again, I don't know how that happened. It was part of that integration of the online bookstore.

View solution in original post