cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlugo1
Explorer II

Google Authentication & iOS/Android app log in

Hi,

My organization is using Google authentication for our users. An issue has arisen regarding the iOS app. Students cannot login to Canvas using the app but are able to log in on the website. 

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

José Lugo

5 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jlugo1 ,

First, I want to apologize for your question sitting in the community for so long without a response.

Second, it looks like you have stumped the Canvas Community.  Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

We also are experiencing this Issue. Has there been any solution?

Hi Stephan,

We did find a resolution. In Canvas authentication, we gave Google position 1 and Canvas login position 2. See the image below.

• This caused a couple of changes:
    • Our login page was no longer Canvas users accessed the LMS through Google login screen
    • We, therefore, had to do this change between semesters so as not to confuse students during the term
    • We sent out informational announcements before the change so they would not be surprised
    • It was actually more intuitive to students to access Canvas with the Google authentication page than guiding users to the login in with Google link on the Canvas login page

I hope this helps!

José

• 302282_pastedImage_1.png
lalee
Community Member

I'm a new Canvas user whose school is looking at moving to Canvas, and this doesn't seem to help folks on free accounts. Actually, I'm testing as a student using a secondary email and as a teacher using a primary email. Accessing through a browser on a computer does seem to work for both student and teacher free accounts, but I can't get either iOS app to allow login or operate through Chrome on the iPad (even on the desktop site request).

Thanks!

Hi, Stephan

I have a follow-up question. Since we went to Google oAuth, our administrators have been losing their admin permissions. We replace them, but shortly after they lose them again. Has this happened at your institution?

Thanks!

José