cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Google Docs in Canvas when I use another teacher's course

I shared my course with a colleague. I included google docs in the course that the colleague does not having sharing rights to. How does the colleague access the documents on the drive?

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jmackey@d181.org, it depends what rights you have the doc's set to. If you have viewing rights set to anyone with the link then the Instructor would be able to view the docs and make copies of them.

Highlighted
Learner

Hi Jillian.  I'm not sure if the google docs are embedded through the LTI of if they are linked, so I'll comment on both:

LTI:  For any LTI shared assignment (even if you reuse it yourself) the Google doc must be reconnected after the share. (A Canvas support person gave me the technical  details, but I couldn't really explain it. Smiley Wink )

To share with a colleague, there are lots of options, but one easy way to share course materials is to create a shared Google folder. Each of you can save files to this folder for embedding in your course.

LINK:  All Google resources for the course must be shared with the other instructor.  This will allow you to share the course without any edits needed after the import.  You can use the share button in any doc to grant rights to the other teacher, but again, a shared folder might be a good option  because you can set the sharing rights on the folder and new materials will inherit those rights.  (Moving your items into a shared folder will not effect the links in your courses.  No updates needed.)

HINT:  Be sure both of you have a solid understanding of how Google file sharing and link sharing properties work. Mistakes and misunderstandings can result in other teacher and even students editing your course materials. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello jmackey@d181.org‌...

I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted your question here in the Canvas Community on June 2nd and then received a couple replies from both kona@richland.edu‌ and tbirbeck@nthurston.k12.wa.us‌ later that day.  Have you had an opportunity to review these responses?  If so, did either of them help to answer your question?  Or, are you still seeking some help with your initial question?  If you feel that one of the above responses is "Correct", please go ahead and mark it as such.  However, if you are still looking for some help, please come back to this thread and post a message below so that members of the Community can continue to assist you.  For now, since we've not heard from you in quite a while and since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below.  I hope that's okay with you, Jillian.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!