cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
landerson3
Community Member

Google Drive Tab

Jump to solution

I am teacher posting assignments. Even though I have enabled google drive it does not show up as a tool in canvas. I cannot insert anything off my drive .... I thought there was supposed to be a tab for this in the toolbar??

Thanks

Anderson

219670_Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 3.23.03 PM.png219743_Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 3.23.17 PM.png

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @landerson3 ‌...

The screen shot you've shared with the Google Registered Service is a bit different than what you'd want to actually be using.  If you want to create a page in your course and link to a document from your Google Drive account, you'll need to set up the Google Drive LTI tool.  This can be set up at the Account level (so that everyone at your school can connect their Google Drive account), or at the Course level (just for your course).  This document details the information to get started setting up the Google Apps LTI: Canvas Release: Google Apps LTI.  Once that is done, then you can use this Guide to link documents from your Google account to your Canvas course: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1885 

I hope this helps, Lauren!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @landerson3 ‌...

The screen shot you've shared with the Google Registered Service is a bit different than what you'd want to actually be using.  If you want to create a page in your course and link to a document from your Google Drive account, you'll need to set up the Google Drive LTI tool.  This can be set up at the Account level (so that everyone at your school can connect their Google Drive account), or at the Course level (just for your course).  This document details the information to get started setting up the Google Apps LTI: Canvas Release: Google Apps LTI.  Once that is done, then you can use this Guide to link documents from your Google account to your Canvas course: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1885 

I hope this helps, Lauren!

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@landerson3 , it looks like you're trying to add something from your Google Drive to an assignment you're creating. By enabling Google Drive in your web services, you've effectively set permissions to use Google Docs for Collaborations. As  @chofer ‌ notes, if you want to use documents from Google Drive in your assignments, pages, and anywhere else the Rich Content Editor appears, you or your school will need to enable the Google Apps LTI. (It still won't be a tab; that's what students see when Google Drive--not to be confused with the Google Apps LTI--is enabled at the account level.)

Approaching this from an entirely different direction, if you've set the sharing permissions on your documents correctly, you don't have to do any of the above. Instead, you can embed the document into the RCE. I've written about that in https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2015/04/23/using-google-docs-for-dynamic-canva...