cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Grade Book and Weighted Grades Calculation Dilemma!

Issues with Grading-Help!

Hello!

I have weighted my grade book to specific percentages assigned in the syllabus. When a student completes an assignment and it is graded, 18/21 points-how do I insert this into Speed Grader? Currently, this is not turning the points into percentages in the weighted total column.

Example: 18/21 points gets posted as 18% in Speed Grader. If the students gets 21 points, I hand calculate this 100% into the grade book. I am doing this for every grade, is this right?

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

mfitzke@nebrwesleyan.edu, I just did some testing and I'm pretty sure the issue is that you have the assignment set to display as "percentage." If that's correct, then you have to enter in the grade in Speedgrader as a percentage, not as a number. Example - instead of putting in 18 (for 18/21), you'd put 85.71 (which is 18 divided 21, times 100 - to make it a percent, and then rounded to the nearest hundredth). 

Once enter the grade as a percentage it will then show the correct number of points (in parentheses) in Speedgrader. If you don't want to enter the grade as a percentage, then you'd need to flip it back to points for the assignment settings. 

I hope this helps!

Kona

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Kona,

I am having the same issues. I seem to have 2 grade books; a white one with just points on assignments and a gray colored one with percentages in graded assignments. However, the quizzes are not transferring into %.

Thank you,

Sue

Highlighted

lgabriel@nebrwesleyan.edu, welcome! Those aren't two separate gradebooks. The white are individual assignments and the gray are overall assignment group percentages. Assignment groups are determined based on how you set your gradebook up on the "Assignments" Index page (Assignment link on the left in your course). As for your question about quizzes not transferring into %, could you provide more information about what the issue is? Are the grades not showing up at all in the gradebook?

Thanks! Kona

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The points on the quizzes are showing up in 'white' gradebook, not in gray one. Yesterday, I was looking at things in the grade book and there was a flash and the quiz showed on my screen and then when I checked the grade book (gray) they were there in %. As of yet the Quiz #3 only shows in points in (white) Grade book. Does this have something to do with not everyone has taken the quiz as of today?

Thank you,

Sue

Dr. Sue Gabriel EdD, MSN, MFS, RN, SANE-A,CFC,

Certified Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner for Adolescents & Adults (SANE-A)

Board Certified Forensic Consultant (CFC)

Associate Professor

RN-BSN Program Coordinator

Nebraska Wesleyan University

Nursing

5000 St Paul Avenue

Lincoln NE 68504

lgabriel@nebrwesleyan.edu

402 465 2460 (Office)

402 430 2104 (cell)

"Unlock your potential and be as great as you dare to be"

Paul Krasnow

Highlighted

lgabriel@nebrwesleyan.edu, it shouldn't have to do with which students have and haven't taken the quiz, it should automatically populate the gray area as soon as grades are entered to the gradebook (manually or automatically). When you look at the gradebook and the white column for the quiz, do any of the spaces have rocket ships in them instead of grades? The only way I could figure out how to recreate this issue - of assignment group percents not showing up - was to have a quiz where I needed to manually grade some of the questions. When this happened there was a rocket ship in Grades for the quiz column and nothing was showing up for the overall assignment group percentage. I'm guessing this is because I needed to finish grading the quizzes.

Highlighted
Community Member

I think I have found the source of the problem. I went into the quiz and hit 'Save' which updates it. Then quiz points appeared as did the % in the grade book. Problem solved.

Sue

Dr. Sue Gabriel EdD, MSN, MFS, RN, SANE-A,CFC,

Certified Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner for Adolescents & Adults (SANE-A)

Board Certified Forensic Consultant (CFC)

Associate Professor

RN-BSN Program Coordinator

Nebraska Wesleyan University

Nursing

5000 St Paul Avenue

Lincoln NE 68504

lgabriel@nebrwesleyan.edu

402 465 2460 (Office)

402 430 2104 (cell)

"Unlock your potential and be as great as you dare to be"

Paul Krasnow

Highlighted

Nice problem solving! Thank you for coming back and letting us know what you did to fix the issue!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, mfitzke@nebrwesleyan.edu...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on June 4, 2018.  It looks like kona@richland.edu‌ had replied to you later that morning.  Have you had a chance to review her reply (and her conversation with lgabriel@nebrwesleyan.edu)?  If so, did any of the above replies help to answer your question? Or, are you still looking for some assistance from members of the Community?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click the "Mark Correct" button next to any one of the responses that best answers your question.  However, if you are still looking for some help, please come back to this topic to post a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from you...and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over five months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Molly.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.