cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blee3
Community Member

Grade book question

Jump to solution

My question involves the Grade Book. Occasionally in one class I'll give a 'pop' quiz; if a student has an excused absence they won't receive a zero for the assignment but I don't know what I should in the grade column where the quiz score would go.

Can I leave that student's space blank (no digit at all) without 'confusing' Canvas' grade book?

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Barry Lee

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Barry, technically there are two things you can do in this situation and both will do the same thing, just one (I believe) is easier for you and the student to understand.

1. Yes, you can just leave it blank (no zero, just blank) and it will NOT count against the student. Yet, then it will forever show up in your gradebook and the student's grades as this blank spot. The problem is if you forget that it should be blank or if the student tries to enter a "what-if" grade for it - then either of you could accidentally change it to something else.

2. Put an EX in for the grade. This stands for excused and that way you and the student know that the assignment (quiz, whatever) is excused and there is no gray area. For me this is the best thing to do when an assignment is excused and the student won't be making it up.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Barry, technically there are two things you can do in this situation and both will do the same thing, just one (I believe) is easier for you and the student to understand.

1. Yes, you can just leave it blank (no zero, just blank) and it will NOT count against the student. Yet, then it will forever show up in your gradebook and the student's grades as this blank spot. The problem is if you forget that it should be blank or if the student tries to enter a "what-if" grade for it - then either of you could accidentally change it to something else.

2. Put an EX in for the grade. This stands for excused and that way you and the student know that the assignment (quiz, whatever) is excused and there is no gray area. For me this is the best thing to do when an assignment is excused and the student won't be making it up.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post